Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "excessive" spit up?

Default "excessive" spit up?

hi guys! so i had my baby 4 weeks ago & for about the past 2 weeks we've had an issue w/ spit up. sometimes it is more than what i'd call 'spit up' it is like a huge amount ...she is still gaining fine (6 ounces-1lb a week) and seems relatively ok and not overly fussy but i was unsure if it was a dairy/soy allergy or what...i dont think its an imbalance bc her poop is normal, not green, i guess i am just wondering what is a normal amount of spit up or vomitting and what would indicate a dairy problem?? thanks

Default Re: "excessive" spit up?

I don't know if you can point to a given amount and say "up to x oz is normal, more than that is not". I think you have to go by the baby. If she is growing normally and doesn't seem unduly upset by spitting up, then it's a laundry problem, not a health problem.

FTR, there are more reasons for spitting up than just allergies/intolerances, including:
    - normal baby spit up
    - reflux
    - extremely fast letdown
    If this were an allergy or intolerance, I think you could expect to see more symptoms than just spitting up. You'd want to look for green, watery, mucousy, or bloody poops, as well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

that's good to know, she definitely doesn't have blood in her poop or anything thats abnormal for bf poop. what is defined as fast letdown vs normal?

i looked up some pics of baby poop & her poop is 'mucosy' ......it isnt green really though so should i consider an imbalance or an allergy??

I wouldn't look for an imbalance or allergy as long as the poop stays yellow. But keep an eye on it! If you ever see streaks or flecks of blood, or the poop becomes consistently green ( I am talking green like lettuce or spinach), then it may be time to consider an allergy/intolerance.

Fast letdown = milk coming out so rapidly that it makes the baby cough, choke, gag, splutter, or click at the breast, or causes baby to "clamp down" on the nipple.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"