Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maybe I should stop trying to night wean

Default Re: Maybe I should stop trying to night

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    What do you think brought on the nighttime marathons at 18 months?
    Um, nothing brought them on, they were just normal for him. Joe nursed once an hour, all night long, for over a year. I'm dead serious. From about five months to eighteen months. It was only after that that he started to sleep longer periods and the improvement was gradual ... although, compared to the rest of his life, pretty amazing nonetheless!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Jomo--did the gradual change happen on its own? I'm hoping something like this will happen to Elena.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    Jomo--did the gradual change happen on its own? I'm hoping something like this will happen to Elena.
    Jomo - please reveal to me too! I'm also hoping for this with Edward
    Diane

Mummy to Edward 24 months and still nursing and with no2 !l

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*homeopathicbaby View Post
    Hi Christine, are you back at work at all? I'm just thinking maybe reverse cycling if this the case, maybe?

Does your ds feed loads in the day too?

Edward starting feeding A LOT at about 13 months or so when he was having another major developmental surge. And he was at nursery, and had been transitioned into an older room. The LLL leader I spoke to - thank you Jill from London!!!!! xxxx was marvellous and assured me it was so so normal and common because of all the developmental biggies going on to feed so much.

The boobs are the place of comfort, security, peace and quiet, familiar sanctuary, and really really yummy stuff! No wonder really! But I know it can be so hard. I've been there - correction: I'm there again actually - myself.

Big hugs
    I actually worked FT out of the home from the time she was 12 weeks old until she was a year old. She did reverse cycle then. I pumped at work while I was gone 40 hours a week. My plan was to pump wean at one year and continue nursing a night. Then the Monday after her first birthday - my day to start the pump wean - I was laid off. Six months later I'm now a WAHM with a PT job and watching our daughter full time. So she just nurses on demand still plus her regular food.

I actually saw another tooth coming in last night. So, I am wondering if this is part of this constant wakefulness.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    since you already did say something to the effect of "maybe I should give up trying to night wean" I feel comfortable echoing that sentiment.
    I promise you he won't nurse for ever. Just for now. You LO really is just a baby.
    its okay to complain and commiserate, that s what this forum is for, IMO.
    You are an awesome mom, trailblazing your way into uncharted territory.
    Night nursing however, predates modern history. It is how we survived as a species.
    Yes. I am thinking you are right. Thank you for the kind words they are almost making me teary. I've decided to see if maybe she can go to her old daycare (which is my next door neighbor) maybe two days a week for 2.5 or 3 hours in the morning from 9 to 12. I know she will come home and be exhausted from playing so much. I can feed her lunch and then maybe she will take a good long nap. This could give me 10 good hours of time to work during the daylight hours (so I'm not burning the midnight oil so much trying to meet work deadlines by only working while she naps and sleeps at night). Then I can go to bed earlier, have time to exercise and perhaps getting a longer stretch of sleep - even if it's fractured - will help me cope and not be so tired all of the time.

Maybe the answer isn't night wean. It's mama - get help with childcare. It's mama - don't try to do it all yourself. Get help.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post
    It pretty much happened on its own. I tried various things, but nothing ever worked.

BTW, he isn't up for the day at 5 a.m. He usually comes into our bed between 4 and 5 and nurses for the rest of the morning, and gets up for the day at 7:30 or 8 a.m.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    It pretty much happened on its own. I tried various things, but nothing ever worked.

BTW, he isn't up for the day at 5 a.m. He usually comes into our bed between 4 and 5 and nurses for the rest of the morning, and gets up for the day at 7:30 or 8 a.m.
    When did you move him to his own bed? How did you do that?

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Okay, so around 18 months, he was refusing the boob and screaming (in my arms - while hitting me the whole time!) for a long time before going to sleep. Since he was screaming himself to sleep anyway, I put him in his crib, which was next to our bed, and laid on the bed shushed and talked to him while he cried. If he got hysterical, I offered the breast, then put him back sleepy. Eventually, he would nurse and then go to bed without screaming. But that was hard, and I imagine, pushing the comfort zones of many moms on here. Let's just say, if he would have nursed to sleep, I would have done that instead. But he wasn't nursing to sleep. He was fighting and screaming himself to sleep every night. So this was not unlike "night weaning" except that I was weaning him into a crib instead of off the boob.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; August 14th, 2011 at 02:59 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Part 2: When he finally started sleeping the first part of the night in his crib, he did not initially sleep better. At first he would only sleep three or four hours before waking (his first stretch of sleep was always his best - the hard part was getting him to sleep!). Gradually this time lengthened. For a long time he was up between midnight and two. Now it still varies, but he does sleep in there until the early hours of the morning more than half the time.

You can call me JoMo!

Hm. This was my question too. I was wondering if night weaning just happens on its own or if I will nurse forever all night if I don't DO SOMETHING. The selfish part of me says to try harder, and then my sensible side kicks in and remembers my lo probably needs it.

Some nights are good, (3 wake ups) and then the LO gets a new tooth and is up every hour. I live for the weekends and napping w the baby.

I have been tempted to night wean, tho we only nurse in the morning and before bed and at night since I work during the day. Also he's not getting all the fluids he needs during the day because he doesn't like his straw cup as much but doesn't want a bottle either (about 8oz of milk and maybe 3 of water in a 9 hour stretch.) . His soft spot is often lowest when he gets home from daycare and only back to normal by morning.

Good to know I can just ride it out, and hang on for now. I'll think of you ladies at night and know I'm not alone.
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

I don't remember exactly when my ds2 night weaned. I know sometime around age two. I had hit my wall, I could't deal with the waking every couple of hours and decided something had to change. What I did was nurse my lo to sleep then try to just pat him back to sleep if he woke up before two hours had passed. I also decided that if he fussed too much then we would go ahead and nurse. It took a long time before we were both sleeping all night, but it was the least stressful for both of us and I cannot tell you how amazing just a few three hour blocks of sleep feel.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.