Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sad :-(

Default Sad :-(

After a lot of posts I've seen on lipase I decided to see if I had that. I took one of my bags out of the deepfreeze and thawed it. I currently have about a gallon of milk stored. I smelled it after it was thawed and it smelled soapy. I tasted it and it had a metallic taste to me...not pleasant at all. I thought I would see if my sOn would take it in a bottle because all I've read said it's safe just tastes gross. Well, you would have thought I was giving him vinegar or something his face looked horrible! I think I now might have a gallon of milk stored for nothing! I feel really bad about this...
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

Default Re: Sad :-(

It happens to a lot of mamas You can see if you can donate it to a milk bank. You can also use it for cooking baby food because the flavor can be masked. But now, if you choose to store milk, check out the lipase thread and learn about scalding so you can scald any milk you store. Also, see how long it takes for milk to start turning. If it's a couple days, you can store fresh milk and use it up right away. The fresher the better anyway.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!