Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work - LO didn't each much

Default Back to work - LO didn't each much

Hello mamas,

Today I went back to work for the first time since DS was born. I've had 7 glorious months off with him, but it's back to reality for me. I'm very fortunate though because my dad is watching LO while I'm at work, and he's actually going to bring him to my classroom every day at lunch so that I can nurse him (I'm a teacher). Lucky, eh? However, I am a little concerned that he only ate 2.5 oz. from a bottle today. He does nurse all night long (we cosleep), and I nursed him before I left for work at 7:15 a.m., then again during lunch around 12 p.m., and I nursed him at 4 p.m. when I got home and on and off all evening several times... He also eats a fair amount of solid food. I guess I expected him to eat more during the day from a bottle while I was away from him... but does the amount he ate today sound ok? I'll definitely get DS weighed next week to see if he's gained, but until then, does anyone have any insight? Should I be concerned if he continues to eat so little from the bottle? Or is this normal for a baby who nurses frequently at night?

Thank you!!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Default Re: Back to work - LO didn't each much

First . It is so hard to go back to work. For me, the mommy guilt was awful. My DD never really took to bottles all that well, and she went through several weeks of complete bottle refusal. It certainly made me worry and compounded my guilt over leaving her.

Reality was that she was fine and continued to grow and develop right along her curve. Chances are great you LO will do well even of he never takes a bottle. You may end up getting less sleep due to reverse cycling, but that is why co-sleeping is so great. If you think about it, some 7 month olds go all night without nursing. The length of time your LO is away from you is less than that.

it's pretty normal for babies to refuse a bottle / not drink much when transitioning to day care

Sounds like you've got a smart baby who is "reverse cycling" by nursing all night long! Plus - eating a lot of solids at day care sounds okay.

As long as baby is nursing a lot when you're together and having plenty of wet diapers, I wouldn't worry. If you want to make sure baby is getting enough breastmilk, then perhaps hold back on solids at home and offer to nurse more when you're together.

And give it a little time. My DS1 mostly refused a bottle his 1st week in day care. Then suddenly decided the DCP was okay and started taking a bottle more.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks, mamas. I am a little paranoid because LO is a slow gainer and I've had major issues with my milk supply. I've only just recently been able to stop supplementing with the introduction of solids. So I guess I am scared to have that familiar experience of getting DS weighed only to discover that he hadn't gained enough...

But on the other hand, eating so little from the bottle could be a good thing. I only have time to pump once at work, and I was only able to produce 2 ounces. Plus I pump in the morning, and usually produce just under an ounce then, too. So that means that I'll be able to pump enough to cover how much he wants from a bottle if he's only going to take 2.5 - 3 oz. while he's away from me...so I'm cautiously optimistic that it's a good thing that he took so little. I'm scared that if his bottle appetite goes up, I won't be able to pump enough while I'm at work to meet his needs, and I don't have much of a freezer stash. We'll see what happens. Thanks so much for your encouragement.
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Great job on your first week! I've just finished my 2nd week and LO only ate 3 ounces a day for the first week and first few days this week.

Thankfully, either they got into a rhythm finally or trying a new bottle helped and/or both. Starting on Wednesday, she actually started drinking from the bottle w/o screaming. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were 7 oz, 8 oz, and then 10oz. Success!!

I'm celebrating but meant to just say hang in there, I bet it will get better soon. Thankfully you are doing solids as well. We are still at 3 months. We did a lot of night nursing last week though to make up for it. Still gaining weight too surprisingly!

Hugs!! Going back is hard

I actually think you/ him are doing well-- if you are nursing him in the am and then at lunch and then when you get home.. and he is only taking 1 more "meal" in between-- that is all my 2 monther does... he eats between 5 and 7 and then again 11-12 and then 3-4 and then i'm home to do the next feeding...

IDK-- sounds normal to me-- especially if he is getting solids.. but I can understand your weight concerns...