Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Length of Feed - Need affirmation please

Default Length of Feed - Need affirmation please

Hi. My 11 week old nurses VERY quickly and only on one side. I'm talking, it's sometimes less than 5 minutes. I will offer and offer, but he politely turns his head away.

He's pooping at least 2x a day (most days - sometimes less, sometimes more) and it's the basic yellow, seedy poop. He pees A LOT.

All is ok, right? He's thriving, growing, happy - although sometimes moderately gassy.

Just looking for some affirmation if possible.

Thanks!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Length of Feed - Need affirmation pl

Sounds good to me! The length of a feeding varies a lot from baby to baby, especially in the newborn period. As long as diaper output is good and nursing feels good, there's no reason to worry about unusually short or unusually long feedings. It sounds like you probably have a very abundant supply, which would explain why your baby only requires one breast at a feeding, why he feeds so quickly (when a mom has a ton of milk, it tends to come out very fast), and why your baby is sometimes a bit gassy (fast letdowns of milk can mean baby gulps in a lot of air, and oversupply can sometimes lead to the baby consuming a lot of lactose-rich foremilk, which can cause gassiness). You might want to try feeding in a more reclined position. Gravity can slow milk flow, making feedings a little less challenging for the baby, and potentially leading to less air intake.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My ds1 took about 30-45 minutes to eat as a newborn. It was really hard for me when ds2 came along and was done in around 7 minutes. I had to remind myself that his output was fine so he was eating enough. It sounds like things are fine with your lo.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

My first baby was like that too. After a couple of months he started eating really quickly and only on one side at a time. He was the fattest, happiest, healthiest baby I've ever seen though. I wouldn't worry at all if you're seeing all the right signs like you say you are. It worked just fine for us. After having 3 more kids, I can look back and say this eating pattern was probably because I was feeding him so often - like every hour and a half all the way until he was 6 months old. He didn't need to eat very much at a time when he was eating that often. I'm sure once he was 2 months old or so, he probably could have gone longer between feedings if I had wanted him to, but he was happy and I was happy and of my four he definitely loved me the most - maybe because he was never away from me for long. Enjoy that little one, these are precious times!!

If you have OALD, then yes, totally normal to feed a baby in 5 minutes or less
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!