Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Upper Tongue Tie & Craniosacral Therapy

Default Upper Tongue Tie & Craniosacral Therapy

I noticed earlier this week with the help of the health department LC that DD has an upper lip tie. The LC said that could be the cause of our BFing issues (nursing for a hour, having trouble staying latched, only 1oz transfer, falling asleep VERY fast at the breast, pulling head back while nursing, dropped weight first 3 weeks of life). I brought it up to the hospital LC when I had my follow-up appointment today. She said her upper lip tie is very tight. She made a call to our Pedi and we went straight there. Our Pedi does not seem to think it is causing our BFing issues, but put in a referral to an ENT. The LC said she does not see many of the upper lip ties and the other LC said she has not known anyone to get it clipped.

Anyone has experience with the upper lip tie? Did you get it clipped? Did it help with the BFing?

They also recommend Craniosacral Therapy. Anyone have experience with that helping with BFing issues?

Default Re: Upper Tongue Tie & Craniosacral Ther

Craniosacral therapy absolutely helped my son breastfeed more easily. We were dealing more with the effects of stuck skull plates and plagiocephaly, though. He did have a tongue tie that we had clipped weeks before the craniosacral therapy, but that was not why we sought it out. I highly recommend it. And, actually, may seek it out as a precaution with the next baby, even if things go more easily. It seems like after birth, it might make sense to just make sure things are aligned properly and free to move as they should.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

We needed craniosacral therapy in order for my son to be able to BF. Very interesting treatment and I would highly recommend you look into it more.

Our LC recommended a cranialsacral therapist, but there wasn't one locally, and my chiropractor specializes in pediatric adjustments. Even our first visit showed marked improvement in my son's disorganized suck. He had been spending hours at the breast and not transferring, and it even took him two hours to get a few ounces out of an easy bottle. During his first visit while the chiropractors massaged his skull (the sides were overlapping the forehead), he got hungry and took a 4 oz bottle in 30 minutes. We were floored.

It still took time for him to learn to nurse, but we are very glad we got help from the chiropractor. The much longer story (including my EP journey with my first child) is here

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...n-and-my-story if you want to read it.

I wish you very well.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Thank You! She has her first cranialsacral therapy tomorrow. I am SO ready for her latch to improve, for my nipples to stop hurting, to stop the pumping and supplementing (with BM) and for BFing to be a wonderful experience (which it is NOT at this moment).