Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: safe bras and birthcontol for bf babies

Default safe bras and birthcontol for bf babies

I went to pennies and got a bra. It was suppose to be a good one but i seem to be falling out and it isn't so comfortable. It was only $19 i caught it on sale and got an additional $5 off for being fitted. I think i might be bigger that she fitted me for but not for sure. Also my husband and i were discussing if an under wire causes problems with the milk while you breastfeed.

I also had an appointment with my doc today about birthcontrol. We are looking at maybe an IUD since we just had our 7th baby. But I'm scared of getting one cause I may change my mind and want to have another baby. I want a couple more but we need to wait. But the side effects scare me. Does anyone else have one or had one and what do they feel like? All information is welcome good or bad i'm just weighing my options right now and want all the advice from people that have had or have an IUD.

Thank you

Default Re: safe bras and birthcontol for bf bab

!

Underwire is fine as long as it doesn't pinch. You can get some really good bras with underwire. However $19 may be better spent on a softer bra. I had to pay $54 for my nice bras. A sports bra can work too.

IUDs can be pretty scary and although I know they are supposed to comparable to other bc methods I know two women who got pregnant anyways. Have you looked into nursing amenorrhea?
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

with the PP about the bra. Cheap or underwire bras aren't necessarily bad as long as they fit properly.

Lots of mamas use IUDs, but they are not always compatible with breastfeeding. Some mom find that Mirena, the IUD with a hormonal component, can negatively impact supply. It's not a gaurantee, but it happens enough that I think women should be warned about the possibility. If you really want to use a hormonal method, I suggest choosing the mini-pill. The mini-pill, like all hormonal birth control, has the potential to impact supply. However, unlike the IUD or the Depo shot, you can stop the mini-pill immediately if you feel like it is causing you problems. If you really like the idea of an IUD, the is a non-hormonal option on the market: ParaGard. ParaGard is very effective and does not impact milk supply, but unlike Mirena it has a tendency to produce heavier-than-average menstrual flow and a lot of women don't like it for that reason. It also does not inhibit ovulation or fertilization of an egg, only implantation. So if you have a moral objection to that, it may not be the right choice for you.

So, how do you feel about barrier methods? Condoms, diaphragms, sponges? Those are really good methods for a breastfeeding mom.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

great info from pp.

just wanted to say and that it's so great you have such a big family

i have one really nice bra, it was expensive, from bravado. its good and i am glad i have it. the other ones i have are just cheap sports bras, i bought a few packs. these
    i like them because they give some good support without being too tight. i think it depends on how big your breasts are.

Thank you guys so much for the bra tips. As far as birth control I have had a lot of bad experience with a lot of the pills. They have made me very mean, to the point my husband and i would have got a divorce. Once I stopped the pill i was my old self again. But then we have our now 6 week old cause I had to stop. I took probably 5 pills before we realized it was the pills. I also have a slight latex allergy. We have not used them pretty obvious since we have so many kids. But my body didn't exactly like this pregnancy. I need a break to recoup. My doc and I discussed the diaphragm but she doesn't recommend the sponge cause they aren't very effective. She gave me a script for a pill that contains some of the same stuff as the IUD. I told her that if the IUD caused me to become mean i would have them take it back out. The cost was too expensive so she wanted to try the pill first to see if my body is even going to reject it. We checked into the counting the ovulation cycle and not for sure if i follow the 28 day mark or not. I have heard breastfeeding reduces the risk some but not 100%. But then again nothing is 100% except one thing. I am scared to even touch my husband cause of becoming pregnant. We need something quick, cause I don't want to get pregnant. Not this quick, i had a really rough pregnancy this last time. My twins and 6 week old are only 15 months apart. 2 rough pregnancies back to back wears on your body. I'm just scared if I can't find something quick i will get pregnant again. I want more babies, just need to heal first. Please help..

have you tried the Lifestyle condoms? they are made of polyisoprene for people with a latex allergy. they are actually thinner than latex condoms and just as effective as far as I know. you could pair them with a spermicide and I think you'd have a very effective birth control. you should be able to find them at any drug store that has a decent condom selection or order them online from a place like Condom Country (haha!). I know a lot of people don't like condoms, but I have a bad time with hormonal birth control too (shoots my blood pressure sky high). As a pp suggested, you could also try the copper IUD that doesn't involve any hormones. hope that helps
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love

If pills affect your mood, then Mirena or the Depo shot or any other form of hormonal birth control will probably affect your mood, too. I can totally relate- I took the combination pill for a few years and did not realize until I stopped just how significant its effects had been.

In your shoes, I would choose either ParaGard, the polyurethane condoms the PP mentioned (but not the lambskin ones- they are not particularly effective), or a diaphragm (they make silicone ones now) and spermicide combo. Just be cautious with the diaphragm- they become less effective when a woman is a "grand multipara" like you! . I would also read up on the lactational amenorrhea method (LAM) and get hold of a copy of Toni Weschler's book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility", which is all about the fertility awareness method (FAM). LAM is about 99% effective if you follow ALL the rules (baby less than 6 months old, period has not returned, baby only breastfeeds, no bottles, pacis, or solids, and baby never goes 6 hours without nursing). And with FAM you learn how to read your fertility signs with enough precision to accurately determine your fertile period, much more precisely than if you rely on the rhthym method (which assumes that all women have a 28 day cycle and ovulate on day 14). Just don't use FAM as your only birth control when you are just starting out with it. It takes most women several cycles of observation to learn how to accurately identify their fertile period, and you don't want to slip up while you have your training wheels on!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

we use condoms, always have since i dont do well with the pills either.

Thank you guys so much. This definitely helps.

As far as the copper iud my doc said most women have problems with heavier flow and cramping. I already have cramps like im having another baby, so definitely don't want that.