Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I reuse heated breastmilk?

Default Can I reuse heated breastmilk?

Hello, I started to pump to increase production and give the milk I pumped during the day to my LO in the evening or the day after. I store the milk in the fridge right after pumping and warm it to about 37- 40 C (100 F ?) before I give it to her. Although I warm not more than 60 ml ( 2 oz) sometimes she leaves some in the bottle and I was wondering for how long I can keep the rest, if I should keep it at room temperature or in the fridge and if I can heat it up again before giving to my LO. I really hate to have to throw away bm!!

Default Re: Can I reuse heated breastmilk?

I reuse it. But I never heat it. He takes it cold or at room temp. But I use it up at the next feeding.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Can I reuse heated breastmilk?

You can use it within an hour. I might even go as long as 2-3 hrs as long as it smells fine and was never frozen. I would not re-chill it for future use.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos