Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New here.. NEED HELP!

Unhappy New here.. NEED HELP!

Hello to all. I am new to this site.. Mother of 3, ages 3 1/2, 19 months and 5 weeks.

So let me preface my need with this: I am not a fan of breastfeeding. I do it only because I know it is what's best for my baby. I suffered through 6 weeks of inexperienced breastfeeding with my oldest, only got through 1 week with my second, but here I am DETERMINED to last it out to at least 3 months with my third. I have been breastfeeding exclusively for 5 weeks. I am quite proud of myself for not giving up yet.

Here is my problem... My son, who's 5 weeks today, has over the past couple days lost his latch. I have continuously worked with him each feeding to get him to latch on correctly. I have worked with a lactation consultant since day 1 to ensure our success. But today has been so difficult. No matter how wide he opens his mouth he still ends up only getting my nipple in his mouth. I pull him off and try again time and time again each feeding, but to very little avail. I am not doing anything differently. The one or two times he has actually gotten a good latch (today) is still no comfort.. He seems to be doing something weird with his tongue and my nipple. This is the part of breastfeeding that I don't like... The nipple stimulation. So it has been very hard for me today. I don't know what he's doing or how to fix it.. But if he doesn't correct himself I don't know that I can hang in there much longer. Which is frustrating. I've come this far and have worked hard to get here and I don't want to have to stop breastfeeding over something like this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Default Re: New here.. NEED HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeCrazies View Post
    Hello to all. I am new to this site.. Mother of 3, ages 3 1/2, 19 months and 5 weeks.
    Welcome!

So let me preface my need with this: I am not a fan of breastfeeding. I do it only because I know it is what's best for my baby. I suffered through 6 weeks of inexperienced breastfeeding with my oldest, only got through 1 week with my second, but here I am DETERMINED to last it out to at least 3 months with my third. I have been breastfeeding exclusively for 5 weeks. I am quite proud of myself for not giving up yet.
    Congrats!

Here is my problem... My son, who's 5 weeks today, has over the past couple days lost his latch. I have continuously worked with him each feeding to get him to latch on correctly. I have worked with a lactation consultant since day 1 to ensure our success. But today has been so difficult. No matter how wide he opens his mouth he still ends up only getting my nipple in his mouth. I pull him off and try again time and time again each feeding, but to very little avail. I am not doing anything differently. The one or two times he has actually gotten a good latch (today) is still no comfort.. He seems to be doing something weird with his tongue and my nipple.
    Has anything changed that you can think of? Does he get any artificial nipples (bottle/pacifier)? Has he been sick? Could you check his mouth to see if there are any red or white patches?

This is the part of breastfeeding that I don't like... The nipple stimulation.

So it has been very hard for me today. I don't know what he's doing or how to fix it.. But if he doesn't correct himself I don't know that I can hang in there much longer. Which is frustrating. I've come this far and have worked hard to get here and I don't want to have to stop breastfeeding over something like this.
    I'm sure you can figure this out! Have you contacted your local LLL Leader or IBCLC?

You have made it so far...don't give up now ! I don't have a lot of advice for you because we didn't have latch problems. But I really encourage you to find a LLL leader in your area, or a lactation consultant to work with you. Good luck!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

This might sound weird, but sometimes my LO almost licks my nipple to get it protruding Or he will suck suck, pull away and re-latch really quickly improperly. Anyway, I don't know that I have a solution, but I let him do that for a few minutes and then relatch him...if he keeps pulling off and doing that, I will wait 5 minutes and try again (as it can get painful). Eventually he gets it...he doesn't always do it, thats all I have...but def. contact and LC if you can...

I encourage you stick with it and I think once you find yourself over this hump, you will want to continue bfing for it's many benefits throughout the first year. I failed with my first too and it has been a rewarding journey to stick with it this time. I know you can get through this. I just read a post a few days ago about someone who did not like nipple stimulation and overcame that. I will try to look for it again. Here are some links that might help remind you why you are bfing or give some clue as to what might be going on. Sounds like you are very busy. Do you own a sling or carrier. That might greatly help you as well. Good luck.

http://web.tri-isys.com/jellybeansli...astfeeding.htm

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html