Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeling discouraged with my newborn

Default Feeling discouraged with my newborn

My daughter is six days old and we have been breastfeeding since the recovery room after my c section. She is a wonderful baby and has been feeding like a champ however my right nipple looks like it's been through war. It's in such bad shape and has begun to bleed a bit at feedings. I want to continue feeding and past the initial toe curling pain on that nipple, I know she's latching on correctly because the pain stops after a few seconds.

How long does it take for the nipple to recover, the pain between feedings it's what's driving me crazy.

I also purchased a pump today to try and help in between feedings but that's drawing blood from that nipple too. I guess I'm just thinking how much easy my life would be if I just gave her a bottle But we just got past the difficulty of breastfeeding through c section recovery, it seems like we just have another obstacle to overcome.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Feeling discouraged with my newborn

It always seems like its something, doesn't it? Your nipple will heal. I had very cracked nipples and someone told me to express a little milk after the baby was done nursing and apply it to the nipple, then let it air dry. Then apply lanolin. Try to go without breastpads and/or a bra as much as possible...if you aren't bashful topless is best! I slept topless for that very reason (with a towel under me to catch the milk that dripped everywhere ).

Take care of yourself and get lots of rest. Remember, not only did you have a baby but you went through a very major surgery as well!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I'm sorry I don't have any specific help, but I just wanted to encourage you to hang in there! Many of us struggled the first several weeks, but it is so worth it. You can get help for your challenges, and you will heal, and eventually it will probably even be an enjoyable experience. I know it is hard to believe now, but stick with it. The first 2 1/2 months were really hard for me (we were dealing with OALD, tongue tie, mastitis, and pain), but we've been at it for 9 months now and DS is thriving! One thing that has really helped us is being part of our local LLL group.

do exactly what Erin said! let them air dry and apply Lanolin after every feeding. also, make sure your latch is good. they'll never heal if LO has a bad latch.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

Quote Originally Posted by asco00 View Post
    My daughter is six days old and we have been breastfeeding since the recovery room after my c section. She is a wonderful baby and has been feeding like a champ however my right nipple looks like it's been through war. It's in such bad shape and has begun to bleed a bit at feedings. I want to continue feeding and past the initial toe curling pain on that nipple, I know she's latching on correctly because the pain stops after a few seconds.

How long does it take for the nipple to recover, the pain between feedings it's what's driving me crazy.

I also purchased a pump today to try and help in between feedings but that's drawing blood from that nipple too. I guess I'm just thinking how much easy my life would be if I just gave her a bottle But we just got past the difficulty of breastfeeding through c section recovery, it seems like we just have another obstacle to overcome.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Oh yeah...that happened with me, too, with all my kids, initially. Alternate between letting the nipples air dry after a feeding, wearing breastshields and lathering on lanolin cream. Don't use any soap on them, and apply lanolin religiously before baths/showers and after. Take it easy on the pumping..that could be making it worse. If you need to, try a nipple shield (little rubber cover made my Medela that goes over the nipple during feedings. This works for some babies (not for mine). Try to take it off once the baby is latched on well, however, otherwise the baby might get too used to the shield.

I can't say it enough LATCH, LATCH, LATCH! If you haven't already, see a lactation consultant. They are awesome! It will totally help with your confidence and knowledge to get a good latch. A good latch is key to preventing blisters, cracks, bleeding, etc. As for the nipple shield, I wouldn't revert to that just yet unless you have been advised to by a lactation consultant. I got hooked on one of those with my son when I was still in the hospital with him by one of the nurses. I also had a c-section and found it difficult to sit up straight and hold him in a cradle hold as this took muscles that I did not have after such a major surgery! I used the nipple shield as I was desperate to get him to latch on well or for at least more than a millasecond. I was told by my midwives and my lactation consultant that the use of one of these could deplete milk supply especially when you are just starting to establish one. Believe me, a lactation consultant can be your bestfriend! There are some great ones out there that will stop at nothing to help you to get the best latch possible. Hang in there! I did and I am still successfully breastfeeding at 6 1/2 months postpartum and loving it!

Here are some pics of a good latch. http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/positioning.html

Are you prepping the nipple. Once I stopped tweaking it before each feeding, I started to heal. It took me about 4-6 weeks to completely feel healed. It's so worth it to just stick with it. You will heal. Take some ibuprofen. It's safe and it will help.

Also try to do different positions at each nursing session. One time do a cradle, and then the football. It will help to put pressure on a different area of the nipple and let the other part heal.

I feel your pain! I agree, go to the lactation nurse. If you have to visit every day it is worth it! Lanolin will help but really, breast milk is so healing that expressing some onto the nipple and letting it dry will work the best. My daughter had a real hard time latching and was thrusting as well. I almost gave up but was determined, like you.

I dealt with some extremely sore and cracked nipples when I first started nursing. I let my daughter nurse with a shallow latch for one week before I met with a lactation consultant! Yikes!

Depending on how damaged your nipples are you may want to try a nipple shield to give them a chance to heal. I have read and would recommend that you only use a nipple shield under the supervision of a lactation consultant. Before sending me home with a nipple shield, my consultant made sure that my baby was getting enough milk with the shield by weighing her before and after a feed. Also, I met again with the consultant when my nipples had healed to make sure my baby could latch without the shield. The shield should definitely be a short term solution until your nipples are healed. You want to avoid nipple confusion for your LO. Also, the breast is less stimulated with a shield, so over time your milk supply could diminish.

I also went topless as much as possible. I was leaking a lot still, so I flipped my bra down and tucked a burp clothes under each breast to catch excess flow.

When I had to wear a bra, I noticed that using breast pads made the problem worse. They would dry to my nipple, and when I removed them, they would peal off the scabs. I started wearing hydrogels instead. I can't remember what the brand was, but they were awesome! You can even put them in the freezer before wearing them for extra comfort.

Finally, get as much sunlight and air exposure as possible. I know everyone recommends it, but for me the best thing I did was to stop using lanolin. It kept the area too moist, and it wouldn't heal. Everyday I found a patch of sunlight on my carpet and layed on the floor in the sun topless. Strange I know - but it worked wonders! I even put my baby next to me in the sunlight to help with jaundice.

Good luck! Don't give up. I know that everyone says it, but I promise it will get better. In a few weeks from now you will be so proud of yourself for sticking with it!