Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can I get him to breastfeed again?

Default How can I get him to breastfeed again?

Hi, my baby is now almost 2 weeks old. He was born with jaundice at 5 pounds, 10 ounces but his weight dropped to 5 pounds after few days, so gaining weight and eating/pooping well was a big concern. He only latched onto my breast by nipple shield and quickly started to loose weight so the doctor suggested I start pumping along with supplement. Ever since I started feeding him pumped BM in a bottle, he will not latch onto my breast any more. He gets very frustrated and starts crying. I tried very hard to get him back on my breast but now I just feel like it's not going to happen. I'm still pumping, thinking he will latch on again once he gets little bigger and stronger (right now, he's 5 pounds, 9 ounces).... but will he? i can only pump little less than 2 ounces every 2 hours and sometimes even less. i'm just not making enough milk. and lately, he's been spitting up every formula i give him. he only drinks BM which gives me a lot of pressure to make enough pumped milk to satisfy him. I feel so helpless. I can't even breastfeed nor bottle feed. I'm left with pumping milk. I would really like him to latch onto my breast again. any advise?

Default Re: How can I get him to breastfeed agai

I was in the EXACT same boat a couple months ago. My LO was jaundiced - dropped from 6.11 to 5.14 and a nurse suggested I pump and bottlefeed so I did...once he gained again, I would try to latch him several times a day, and he would just scream and be unable to latch. I would end up crying, because I was so disappointed and hated the rejection. I eventually stopped trying and just continued pumping. After several days of not trying (I didn't want him to hate my breasts!) and a little after his 2 week birthday, I went out and bought a nipple shield. I used it ONCE....and after that he just latched on. I just wanted to encourage you and say that it CAN happen!

By the way, I don't think your output is that bad, for being only 2 weeks in!

First off, hang in there. You CAN do this. YES, you can get the baby back to the breast.

It's incredibly common for a baby to prefer a bottle to breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is WORK. Bottles are easy. Many moms successfully use the Breastflow bottles and nurse, but in your case, you need to stop using the bottle 100% ASAP and try something else.

Now, before you freak out, there are other ways to feed a baby A syringe works well. You can cup feed a newborn. There's many ways. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

And when you put baby to the breast, you could consider the following:
    try a nipple shield. It makes the breast more like a bottle, and many babies will accept it, then you can wean off of that. Don't worry about it messing with your supply; that's old research and has been shown to not be valid with modern-day shields.
    Try an SNS. The reasoning would be more immediate gratification for baby to encourage him to nurse...and the nursing stimulation is great for your supply.
    Pump, getting the milk rolling, and then trying with baby.
    Nursing vacation. This is what I had to do when my oldest had nipple confusion. I banned the bottle and we went to bed and nursed laying down. For some reason, the different position made him try again. And I nursed when he was half asleep, picking up on his earliest hunger cues
    Try different positions

The pumping thing....I EP. There are ways to build your supply. I'd rather see you nurse though EPing is a hard, hard road, and if you can nurse, you should. It's better for you. It's better for baby.

But...to build your supply:
    pump every 2-3 hours around the clock. Yes, you must get up in the middle of the night, at least once.
    Pump for at least 15 minutes, and preferably for 5 minutes after you stop seeing drops of milk
    do breast compressions while pumping
    make sure you are using at least a professional grade pump, and honestly, an EPing mother MUST use a hospital-grade pump to bring in her milk fully.
    Make sure you are using the right sized horns. The ones that come with most pumps are the wrong size for the majority of women.
    try some herbs: fenugreek, blessed thistle
    oatmeal: seriously a bowl in the morning and as a snack can really help

For the spitting up...are you sure you are not overfeeding? A newborn really doesn't drink very much. They drink often. 2 oz every 2 hours is probably a little much or right on; it would be kind of unusual for that to be too little. Even though it's pumped milk, he will need to eat quite often, despite what everyone tells you, because it's BM and it digests quickly. I seriously felt like all I did was pump and feed (or both at the same time) for the first 8-12 weeks with this last baby. Before, I just nursed.

And if you haven't, you might want to see an IBCLC for some hands-on help. I would strongly suggest this.

http://www.lowmilksupply.org/bottles.shtml
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/bre...pple-confusion
    http://www.llli.org/nb/nbearlyweeks.html
    http://www.llli.org/nb/nbnippleconfusion.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html this may be very helpful for you
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Excellent advice from the PPs. I just wanted to repost the last link from Susan: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html. I would read through that one with care, because it covers all the ways I know of to coax a baby back to the breast. Be patient, be persistent, and there's a good chance you can get Jim to go back tothe breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

A few things that worked for us with DS1:

Use a nipple shield
    Bathe with baby and let them try latching on in the tub. DS1 was much more relaxed in a warm bathroom in the tub with me, it was actually the first place he latched on without the nipple shield (we were working on weaning him off of it at the time)

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

I just wanted to reemphasize what PPs have said about your supply seeming good. Please don't worry that you're not making enough milk at this point. You are, and with good techniques you can increase it.

I also wanted to mention the site www.drjacknewman.com. He has lots of information sheets and videos about what to do when a baby isn't latching yet.

I used a Medela SNS to supplement my second child with finger feeding and eventually at the breast once he learned to suck effectively. (Long story!) Yours is so young that unless he can't eat any other way, I do think getting rid of bottles entirely would benefit you.

You certainly can do this. Don't despair. When you have questions or need support, just post again, and you'll find it coming at you from all directions.

Have you seen an IBCLC for hands-on help. We needed repeated visits, but it was worth it.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)