Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OALD?? Maybe??

Default OALD?? Maybe??

At the start of a feeding my LO will stop sucking and then choke and cough. I thought it might be OALD but when I researched it there was always talk of milk spraying. I don't have that, so is his choking and coughing something else?? I also don't leak really but I thought that was because he eats every 2 hours or less during the day. Any thoughts??

He's 8 wks old
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

Default Re: OALD?? Maybe??

Not everyone's experience with forceful milk ejection is the same.
    I used to joke with my lo and say, 'whats the matter you found a bone?' when he would cough and choke on my milk.
    I did not have an OALD with every feeding so i was not freaked out over it.
    i would change his nursing position to a more upright sitting position and I held my breast the entire feeding.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

when i started increasing my pumping significantly at work i noticed my lo would cough at the breast in the beginning of a session. i never leak and i never spray.

if it is a problem you can try to hand express some in the beginning if you want just to prevent that fast flow from choking him. more upright position may be better too. my baby just deals with it. i have tried to take him off once it starts and he gets upset so we just try to work though it.

your baby is still little. he may get better at "handling" it when he gets bigger.

Yea he just deals with it now. I wondered if it was likely OALD without all the symptoms and it sounds like it is. Thanks ladies!!
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/