Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Teething?

Default Teething?

LO just turned 3 months old yesterday and seeming also started teething yesterday. Symptoms are excessive drooling, chewing on hands constantly, wanting to nurse but pulling off, not wanting to nurse on my right side at all, puling on right ear (just started last night), yelling at breast, wanting to be held 24/7.
    My questions are is this teething or could it be an ear infection? Will him not wanting to nurse as much and not on one side damage my supply? And how long does this usually last??
    I have tried teething rings (he doesn't like them), baby orajel (ped told me not to use), and tylenol.
    I hate to see him in pain and not be able to do anything about it!
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!

Default Re: Teething?

Mine started the same thing at around 3 months and a month later, no teeth yet. It seems to wax and wane, usually only lasting a day or two at a time. I can't decide if it's teething or if it's just growth spurts, being cranky, etc. She did end up with a tummy virus that ran thru the whole family so at least one of those bouts was probably that and we did have a case of thrush in there too. Sometimes it's hard to nail down with little ones exactly what is wrong because alot of the symptoms are pretty much the same for teething, ear infections, reflux, nursing strikes, etc. It could be any of them. I usually just start with the obvious and less serious and work my way up.

For teething you might try a cold wash cloth; Aidan always liked those best. Avery seems to only want to chew on a knuckle (ouch!). For an ear ache (or for teething too) you might try putting him to sleep at an angle (like a bouncy chair, car seat, wedge under the crib mattress). Sometimes when you lay them down it makes their ears and gums hurt worse from the blood rushing back.

You might try nursing on the right side while he's asleep; that usually works for me when DD doesn't want to take the left side (she's always preferred the right). If you want to even out the supply, you could pump off the right side. But the left side should compensate by making more if that's where he's always nursing. I've seen plenty of moms on this forum say that they nurse only on one side and do fine.
    Heather

Mother of 2
    Aidan - 5 years -- breastfed for 4 months
    Avery - 5 months -- still breastfeeding -- 2nd time's the charm!

Love the birthdate! My little boy was born 5-9-11 Just hit 3 months today. We are having some of the same issues and he's been fussy last few days. Definitely lots of drooling, chewing on hands, ear tugging/grabbing face... My guess was we were having early signs of teething.. Let the fun begin!!

Thank you for your suggestions and advise! For the past 2 nights DS has slept horribly (usually sleeps from 9pm to 6am without waking, and is now waking every 1.5-2hrs), he seems to want to nurse but when put to the breast gives 2-3 sucks and falls asleep. His daytime routine hasn't changed, but at night he doesn't seem to want to lay down in his crib (we use a pack&play in our room). Co-sleeping isn't an option for us as we have a very small bed that is tight with 2 people, and he only seems to want to sleep in his swing anyway. I don't want him to get used to sleeping in his swing at night, as he already won't take a daytime nap anywhere else. I even tried tylenol last night to try and help him sleep and it didn't work. Now I am thinking he might have reflux (could that come on suddenly?)? I just don't know and am so tired from getting up every hour to take care of him. Any advise would be helpful.
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!