Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding After Tongue Tie

Default Breastfeeding After Tongue Tie

Hi there

My son was born with a tongue tie and had it cut almost a week ago at 9 weeks. We're almost a week on now and while his latch did improve straight away we've still got a way to go. We were at our local drop in bf clinic today for the first time since the procedure and we basically need to unlearn all the bad habits we'd learned and start from scratch. Does anyone else have any experience of this? Any tips/support would be hugely appreciated!

Default Re: Breastfeeding After Tongue Tie

What bad habits does your lo have? What type of tongue tie did he have?
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Did they give you any specific exercises at the clinic? "Unlearn all the bad habits and start from scratch" sounds just a wee bit vague. An IBCLC can help you with hands on help and specific exercises and positioning help. That would probably be the most expedient way to get your son where you both are comfortable.

We had our son's tongue tie clipped much earlier, at 4 days, if I recall correctly. And his latch also improved greatly right away. It improved so much, in fact, that I didn't realize at the time that it was still a bad latch. I was just so grateful not to be in as much pain, and grateful that he seemed to be having an easier time with nursing. It was not until much later that I realized that I was still getting lipstick nipple. But it wasn't really painful, and we just carried on without perfecting his latch.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Thanks so much for your replies ladies. I posted quite late last night after a very long day so I was probably compressed the story a bit!

Basically J's very much used to me helping him latch on rather than him doing it for himself. At the clinic yesterday the HV sat with me for ages practising latching on correctly but it was hard for both of us to override pretty much everything we'd been doing ie me holding my breast and him not opening his mouth wide enough.

I'm just one of those people who's glad to hear from others in the same boat, and after a tough time breastfeeding my daughter first time around I'm desperate to get this one right. The good thing is that J's a big baby and despite not having the perfect latch has managed to keep packing the weight on so that's helping me keep calm about taking our time to get it right.

One thing that did help us while were relearning was to use LOTS of propping. We had a Boppy and some extra blankets rolled up and wedged in so that my son was absolutely in position without me having to hold him there. Then I used one hand to sandwich my breast and the other to pull his chin down before he latched. It was a lot to manage, but we only needed to do that for a few days, if I recall correctly. After that, he did better, and I could usually just finesse his latch a little bit as we nursed, without all the pre-nursing production.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I will need to try pulling his chin down, his lip just will not curl back properly. Luckily I have a health visitor coming over tomorrow to observe us, but I was really was lucky to get her as after this week the 'home service' is being stopped.