Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best way to reintroduce breastmilk

Default Re: best way to reintroduce breastmilk

maybe i missed this but are your nipples inverted? maybe just pump to get the nipple out and tug on it while you get ready to take the baby on your lab. pumping and holding a baby is tough.

i just wanted to say that i told a nurse to get out of my room when she started bossing me around about the nursing... she actually said "Are you asking me to leave????" I said, YES, PLEASE GO! she was very annoyed with me

increasing is good

nope not inverted just very small (pea sized) and i have a very stubborn son when it comes to nursing. he wont open his mouth wide enough to get anything in and when i mush it so he can grab he only sucks once then lets go. neither of my LCs stuck around long enough to be asked to leave and then the nurse helping me was doing the exact opposite of what the LCs were doing ("hold the shield this way" "no, hold it this way") but im honestly to the point where im gonna give up trying to nurse and just pump since i was blessed enough to get my milk back, and i ordered pumpin pals so hopefully that will help me even more.

I will tell you I have very large nipples and it was hard for my son since his mouth was so small.

I would encourage you to keep trying to get him to the breast if you can. I know moms who just pump and that is hard. Obviously you need to do what is best for you and your little one.

From my experience, I had to really work hard to get my lo to open his mouth and then in a flash it was closed. Soo frustrating. I would take deep breaths, take a sip of water and start again.

Mushing it in means he won't get much milk an you will get sore. It's a tough game of finding a way to hold the baby, I held mine laying agains my stomach with his head to my left breast, feet at my right. My right hand behind his head/neck. Left breast in left hand. Tickle his upper lip with nipple and then quickly bring him to the breast when he opened. Aiming at the top of his mouth, not the middle and squishing my breast flat a little helped. If it wasn't right I would pop him off and try again.

I think it would be best for you to try if he is not starving. If he is getting really upset (or you are ) just try again at the next feeding.

I hope that helps. If you are really set on not nursing that is fine, I just wanted to give you some of what helped me. :good vibes:

I just want to let you know that you still can work at getting him to nurse if that is what you want.

I did it!! I nursed my 3 month old baby for the first time!! I gave him 4 ounces of formula so he would be calm and relaxed then held him in the cradle hold and kinda smooshed my areoula so he could grab it and i accidentally hit just above his top lip and flicked it in but he took it and went to town..only for a minute or two but he still did it and when he lost his latch i just did it again and he took it. i dont know if he got anything but at least he did it finally. im still going to pump so i can be sure to stay empty to keep increasing but now that i know he can and will do it im going to offer a lot more often.

that is amazing mama! so great!

keep at it and keep us posted. I loved the new version of the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding

remember you and your lo are learning a new skill together so don't get frustrated. you are doing an wonderful job!

turns out he was spitting up bc he has a double ear infection. Im still pumping and up to over 2 ounces a day now, and im going to wait a few days until he feels better before trying to nurse again unless he shows me signs otherwise

Poor little guy!!! I'm so glad you got him to nurse. You're doing great.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months