Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best way to reintroduce breastmilk

Default Re: best way to reintroduce breastmilk

yes its milk based and made specifically for spit up

we've been giving him that much for awhile now and hes just started to spit up here the last few days. and his ped didnt say anything about the amount i was giving him and its not always 6 ounces. its 6 in the morning when he wakes up (he sleeps about 12 hours) then another 2-4 sometimes for naps and between 4-6 when he wakes from naps depending on how long he slept then another 4-6 for bed depending on how long he was up between naps. hes not overweight or anything..last checkup about a week ago he was 13lbs 13 ounces with a cloth diaper on.

i wish he would latch but so far he just pulls away and cries until i just hug him. we didnt get a very good start anyway..the LC at the hospital just grabbed the back of his head and crammed him into my boob then slapped a nipple shield on me when he wouldnt latch and said keep trying and just pump until your milk comes in. i wasnt taught how to hold him in different ways or how to express by hand or how to get him to latch and he doesnt like his head being messed with and he was tongue tied on top of all that (which has since been fixed)..weve had one struggle after the other

I am really sorry to hear that. It is difficult enough in the beginning, to not have the support you need and having negative advice is really disheartening.

You are here now though and that is a great thing. You are giving your baby some milk and you are working hard.

Have you used the Kelly mom website for ideas to bring the baby back to the breast? It takes time and can be a struggle. I'm on my phone, I'll check back later with links and write more. Keep up the good work!

his formula is dairy based and ive been giving him the same amount for weeks and he just started spitting up a couple days ago. he still wont latch and im okay with that, he still gets my milk and we still bond and since im a sahm we have all day just the two of us.

ive been on kellymom dr. jack newman and others. ive tried the nipple shield and i dont like it, i have the latch assist and am using that but my nipple doesnt stay out long enough. i put him on this morning and he tried but didnt open his mouth big enough and was getting mad

The nipple shield might help him latch on and then you could ditch it when you get that figured out?

It sounds like you had a really hard time at the hospital. I really don't get why they JAM the baby's head onto you. It's not nice for anyone involved and it's not like you can do that yourself anyway. I really hated it when Lilah was a newborn and the LCs at the hospital did that to us too.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

but does the nipple shield help my nipple stay out so he can latch on or does it just give him something to latch onto to nurse. they gave me one at the hospital that he didnt like at all and i bought one but he wouldnt latch unless i put milk in it for him, and ive thought about the sns but i dont have a nipple to attach the tubing to hardly. maybe a nipple shell? something to draw it out long enough for him to latch? or maybe wear the latch assist for a little bit at a time to stretch it out?

Do you have a pump? Or did you say you are only hand expressing? I can't remember.

Anyway, you could pump and then latch him on. The pump will draw your nipple out.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

i have a medela pis that i use and i hand express. i tried that once and it wasnt pleasant. i tried holding him while pumping and about dropped them both then i tried pumping then latching but by the time i put the pump down got him positioned and ready my nipple went down and he couldnt get it. it comes out good it just doesnt stay out, especially not long enough to get him on there. but on an up not ive pump/expressed almost an ounce and a half so im still increasing!!