Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Only ONE breast hurts!

Default Re: Only ONE breast hurts!

Often vasospasm is caused by compression and a shallow latch. If that's the case, it will probably naturally improve or go away as your baby's mouth gets bigger and you perfect your latch. Raynaud's syndrome can also cause vasospasm, but Kellymom says that usually causes problems with both nipples, so chances seem good that yours is compression/latch-related.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

So I know now that the blanching I've got on my nipple is from improper latching. Baby does all he can, but that nipple is still too big for his little mouth. Almost twice as big as the other one when it's stimulated...what can I do then?

One side was horrible. Like every time he came off I expected to see a mouthful of blood because it felt like he was sucking glass or little metal wires out if that breast. Foot stomping swearing out loud pain. Intial latch was the worse and then it could be tolerated. So I never abandoned feeding on that side. But it sucked. For months. At some point he just outgrew it. His mouth got bigger and he practiced enough. It was around 4 months. But one thing that really helps is to get the baby in the exact same position as they are on the breast that they do well on. So if your best position on the good side is cradle, then on the bad side you do football. Because by putting the baby in cradle on the bad side you are putting them in the exact OPPOSITE of the position they do their best work in. Visualize this. You have the baby on the boppy. They feed on the good side in whatever position works best for you. Then when the baby comes off, rather than flip the baby, you move the whole baby on the pillow in the EXACT position they are already in until their mouth is on your other breast. Does that make sense? So that even on the other breast, they are still positioned to do their best work.

Way too lazy for formula

Excellent idea!! I will try that, I'm so happy I'm not alone!