Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only ONE breast hurts!

Default Only ONE breast hurts!

Hello everyone, this is my first post...

I've got a problem since the last week with breastfeeding my first baby.
    Baby is 4 weeks old, and his latch is now pretty good, in fact, as far as I can see he latches on perfectly on the left breast wich causes no problem and no pain. Wide-open mouth, lips curled out, tongue under and swallowing great.
    He latches the same on the right one, but for some reason, I feel a toe-curling burn in the nipple when he starts sucking-- that fades to a tolerable pinche as he continues.
    So that makes feeding from that breast not very comfortable.

Now an important thing to tell, is that something pretty weird happened some time ago with that nipple, where it became very large, red and painful one morning.
    I have no idea why, but it was twice the size as my right one and very hard. No blood or anything.
    It got better the same day, but always stayed tender and a bit bigger, and I'm thinking maybe it hurts when baby sucks because it rubs the wrong way on his tongue or something due to it's size??

I'm very confused, anyone experienced that before?

Default Re: Only ONE breast hurts!

I found that happened when he was latched wrong and my nipple was pinched somehow and someway in his mouth. I gave that side a few hours off to heal then tried again. Hope it gets better for you!!
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

Yes, sounds like there's something funny about the way he is latched/positioned on that painful side. That swollen/painful nipple thing happened to me once after I pumped. Totally freaked me out, but I think I just had it on a setting that was too strong. It eventually went away. Maybe just some cold compresses will help the swelling go down? Good luck!
    SAHM to threee (homebirthed) kiddos...
    Mouse 10/29/2008
    Chipmunk 4/16/2011
    LP 11/16/12

www.kimchilatkes.com

That's what I thought at first, and I let it rest a whole day, but it's the same thing now and it's been more then a week.
    Everytime baby latches or I pump, the nipple is very painful at first, then becomes bigger and more sensitive then the other one. So it's probably not a bad latch....I'm so confused and getting frustrated....

Sometimes there are invisible physiological differences between breasts which can make latching on one side more difficult than the other. Often one nipple is a little shorter than the other even when completely stretched out, which means that the baby cannot get the nipple quite as deep into his mouth. And anytime the nipple is shallow in the baby's mouth, it can get compressed and pinched. The good news here is that babies grow, and eventually the importance of these minor physiological issues diminishes. A bigger mouth can achieve a deeper latch, and can achieve it every single time, regardless of how long the nipple is.

Some of the things you describe make me think it would be a very good idea for you to see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for some hands-on help. The fact that your nipple became very large and red- that could indicate a plugged duct or an infection or blister or something a little less run-of-the-mill than a simple poor latch.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the responses!

I wanted to add that these days, the affected nipple not only burns after feeding, but becomes a bit white at the tip. I think it might be vasospasm or something like that?
    When baby finishes sucking the nipple always look good, pink and not odd-shaped but then the burning starts and the whiteness for a few minutes.

Then there is also what looks like a blister with a bit of blood that's been there for the last few days and is kind of long to heal....

I don't think there's a plug because I can't feel any knots or weird bumps inside the breast...

I had a blood blister at week 3. It was excruciating and I thought it was thrush but it wasnt. The only thing that helped is a saline bath. Take 2 tsp of salt and 8 oz of water in a bowl. Dip your nipple in the bowl for 5 minuets not more. If you leave it in for longer the nipple will dry out. Do this when u dont expect LO to feed in the next hour. This should not hurt. I had some burning at the start of the next feeding but after that I had no pain. Worked like a charm!

Please get what you have checked before you try anything though. I went to a doctor and she recommended this for me.

HTH!

Well I will definitly try the salty water thing after his next drink, because seeing a doctor is a long process where I live. I'd have to wait for hours with sick people with a 5 weeks old to have them tell me to put salty water on it...I'd rather ask women who had the same experience.
    My appointement with the doctor who followed me during my pregnancy is in september and I will talk to her about it if I don't find a way to make it go better before then.
    Until then thank you all for your help! It's great to see I'm not alone.

Burning and whiteness does sound like a vasospasm. Try keeping a hot water bottle or heating pad on hand, since heat is the best treatment for vasospasm.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Does a vasospasm go away on it's own eventually?? Everywhere I read about it, they say how to apply heat, but not how much time it will take to go away...