Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 week old eating a lot

Default 6 week old eating a lot

I have 7 kids and my 6 week old is the first one I have decided to breastfeed. She is eating at least 7 to 8 oz every night for a feeding. She doesn't seem to be full after that so I have to feed some more. She seems fussy and just restless until i do. But here lately it seems like she can't get enough to eat and my boobs are just starting to hurt from her eating so much. Then after 2 hours they get engorged from them trying to keep up the production. Is this normal for her to eat this much? And how much should she be eating?

Default Re: 6 week old eating a lot

First of all, yes 6 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt. 2nd of all how do you know that your child is eating 7-8oz in a feeding? Where is that estimate coming from?

Way too lazy for formula

8 oz does seem like a lot, even for a growth spurt at this age. Are you basing 7-8 oz on a normal amount for you to pump? If so, you may be engorged from an oversupply that already existed. The pain could be cause by a poor latch because of the engorgement. When my breasts are full, it's often painful to latch my LO. I find it helpful to hand-express a little bit of milk or press back on the areola (reverse pressure softening). My LO eats 4-5 ounces of expressed milk when my husband gives him a bottle, but I think he probably gets more when he nurses from me. I respond way better to the baby than to the pump.
    There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it. ~Irena Chalmers

Good questions and suggestions from the PPs. I want to reiterate that 7-8 oz is an immense amount for a baby to consume in a single feeding. Most breastfed babies that age eat only 2-4 oz at a time.

A lot of first-time breastfeeders are surprised at how often their babies eat, when compared to formula-fed babies. But frequent feeding is very normal for breastfed infants. Many of them nurse every 90 minutes or so, because breastmilk digests fast and infant tummies are tiny.

Another thing that can throw a First-time nursing mommy for a loop is how powerfully a baby will associate the breast with comfort, especially around bedtime. When the end of the day comes and a baby is tired or fussy, that is often when the marathon nursing sessions kick in. It's not just about hunger- it's also about closeness to mommy.

If you have any question about your baby's milk intake, just watch her diaper output. Normal input = normal output.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My 8 wk old does the same thing in the evening. It is a marathon session for at least 3-4 hours. If I estimated based on bottles I could make the assumption he was getting like 20 oz just with the time but I know that's not right because he isn't getting milk that entire time and with pp he is wanting closeness and soothing before bed. Breastfeeding is a strange but cool thing! I can't believe how easy (now not in the beginning) this is compared to bottle feeding!! I can't imagine going back to the bottle at all because it's so hard compared to BF. I guess I'm like another poster on here, her sig says " too lazy for formula" that's me too!!

Good luck! The engorgement went away just recently for me but I still get it if he goes longer than 5 hours without eating (night time only). I use my pump to help with that and freeze the milk for when I go to work again.

It sounds like you really want BF to work and your baby (and kids! You shoukd get a medal just for being able to handle so many kids) is lucky to have a wonderful mama like you!
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

Thank you for all the responses. We have been told so many different things I just honestly wanted to hear from moms that have or are going through the same thing. I do pump so that my husband can feel involved but also so i can get a little sleep at night. She eats about every 2 hours and then around 9 eats for a couple of hours at a time. She gets up 2 times in the night but my husband feeds her around 2 or 3 so she will sleep until 5 for me. I am just too stubborn to give up on this. I have set my mind to completing at least 6 months but really want to do it was year. I just want to make sure she is getting enough to eat and that i'm doing everything I should be doing. I feel so much better when i feed her as opposed to bottle feedings. I feel happy, and i just don't want to give that up. I just wanted to make sure that i'm eating enough and producing what she needs. I can only seem to get enough pumped for 8 oz and here lately or the past 2 nights only 6 oz. Is there anything i can do to maybe increase my production? She also seems gassy, am i eating something to make her gassy?