Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Long term use of Fenugreek

Default Long term use of Fenugreek

How long can you take Fenugreek? I've been taking if for months as my ped never told me to stop, but I see on here that many just take it for a short time. Does long term use harm baby? Now I am a little worried.

Default Re: Long term use of Fenugreek

Not to worry. Fenugreek is very safe. In fact, it is a commonly used spice in Middle Eastern and Indian cooking. The only caution I have ever read about fenugreek is that diabetics should be careful when using it, because it can reduce blood sugar levels.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I used it regularly (either in the form of tea or capsules) for close to 7 or 8 months while nursing/pumping and didn't notice any issues with myself or my baby.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Thanks! I want to stop taking it but am afraid my supply will tank if I do. Any suggestions?

Is your baby nursing well? Are you exclusively nursing, combining nursing and pumping, or exclusively pumping?

If baby is nursing well and you are exclusively nursing, then you can probably just stop the supplements and rely on the baby to maintain your supply. If you are nursing and pumping or exclusively pumping, you probably want to be prepared to add in an extra pumping session or several extra pumping sessions if you see a decrease in supply. Whichever situation applies, you probably want to drop the supplements slowly.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I am exclusively nursing. She's almost a year old and does nurse fairly well. She nurses about every 2.5 hrs during the day and usually once overnight, twice on a rare occasion. She nurses well on the feeds she falls asleep and the overnight feed. The awake feeds are usually fly-by's.
    DD-8/17/10

made it to my goal of 1 year!! ...and still going strong

In that case, I would just taper off the dose and see where things go. At nearly a year old, your baby should be very able to maintain your supply through nursing alone.

Thanks so much!
    DD-8/17/10

made it to my goal of 1 year!! ...and still going strong