Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breast shield size

Default breast shield size

I feel like I should be getting more when I pump, and if I move the shield around after the milk seems to stop then I usually can get more out. Would this mean that the breast shield I'm using is too small? For lack of a better way to say this, should the nipple and areolar be "sucked" in, or just the nipple? Only my nipple and a little of the areolar are going in to the tube part (if that makes sense).

TIA

Default Re: breast shield size

http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields

This has pictures of actual breasts in actual breast pumps, just FYI in case you are at work.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

You could also make sure you are doing compressions. I work my way around the breast, pressing on the ducts as I go, to maximize production.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I was having fits trying to get the right fit with Medela flanges and they all caused me pain. I saw a thread on another pumping forum about Pumpin Pal flanges and moms were really happy with them. I bought the kit and I was blown away how much better they work and really comfortable. They are angled a little so you don't need to lean forward and they move the suction back further so it doesn't suck on just the nipple, but all around the nipple, more like a baby. They are pretty incredible.

Here is their website : www.pumpinpal.com

Here is the thread on the other pumping forum : http://www.whattoexpect.com/forums/b...t-finally-work

PumpMom, do you work for pumpinpal????
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

LOL, no. When I find a product that really works, I spread the word. You can check any other breast feeding or pumping forum and you will find alot of moms like myself that are passionate about the pumpin pal flanges. I was surprised when I came on here and nobody really knew about them. My lactation consultant didn't even know about them until I brought them to her, and that's SAD. No need to suffer, ladies. Just read that post on WTE.

Here's the thing, PumpMom, you have been a member since Feb 2010. The only thing you have EVER posted about here has been pumpin pals. That seems very odd to me.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

This is not my regular haunt, just trying to bring a little happiness and spread the word about something that actually works. Feel free to use the old fashion style flanges if you like, but there may be some moms on here that would like suggestions that are less than 75 years old. Nipple cream is great, but there are other alternatives. My LC has taken my advice and is now offering Pumpin Pals to all of her patients with nipple pain.

gracehopelily, the pumpin pal flanges will fully drain you without having to move the flange around, the suction is moved further behind the areola so it doesn't suck on just the nipple, but the whole area around the nipple, more like your baby does.

I do not work for pumpin pal and have posted much not related to them, but I do want to say that they did really help me. In my case it was because I have large nipples and even the 36 mm Medela flanges were scraping and bruising me at the base of my nipples. I discovered Pumpin' Pal flanges about five months into my EPing, and their XL size was a relief to me. It probably took me longer to pump each breast (though I was dropping pumps slowly at that time, so had to increase the length of each individual pump), but they did help my breast soreness and my back pain. (I still benefited from leaning over to pump, but it wasn't quite as much and I didn't have to do it every minute to keep the milk going downhill.) I did not have success using their hands-free strap. I broke the suction too often because I do breast compression while pumping, and a hands-free bra worked much better for me.

Every product is certainly not for everyone, and the OP is not in the same situation I was in, but I have had good experiences with the larger angled flanges. (I give them as gifts to pumping moms.)
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Thanks, everyone. I do have larger nipples as well. I will check out the information!