Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping And Cracked Nipples

Default Pumping And Cracked Nipples

My very good friend has a baby with a heart issue. Due to various issues, she's exclusively pumping. Now she's getting cracked nipples and her production is dropping a bit. Babe is only 1 week old.

Any hints from you ladies? She's using Lanolin. I've reminded her to drink lots of water and some milk teas have been suggested as well.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Pumping And Cracked Nipples

Could she have thrush? Cracked nipples make me think of it. A worse problem for a bottle-fed baby, b/c the yeast can live on the plastic nipples/bottles/etc.

Also, is she using the proper sized horn? Sometimes after hard core pumping for a while, the nipples swell and you need a bigger size. Here is my favorite link on that: http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields

HTH!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    Could she have thrush? Cracked nipples make me think of it. A worse problem for a bottle-fed baby, b/c the yeast can live on the plastic nipples/bottles/etc.

Also, is she using the proper sized horn? Sometimes after hard core pumping for a while, the nipples swell and you need a bigger size. Here is my favorite link on that: http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields

HTH!
    Great article!! Thank you so much - I've passed it on to her.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

After pumping, she could also express a little milk and rub it over her nipples... that is supposed to help too. I have also used some of those gel nipple soothie things for nipple trauma... those feel nice if you put them in the frig and then slip them in your bra. OH! I just remembered... WET healing is the best way to heal a nipple wound... like, try not to let the scabs get too hard, because when they crack open it hurts like a MFer.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I don't like lanolin. I prefer nipple butter, like MotherLove. Rub some inside the flanges or on nipples before pumping. Helps with the friction. And yes, air dry.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amysmom View Post
    My very good friend has a baby with a heart issue. Due to various issues, she's exclusively pumping. Now she's getting cracked nipples and her production is dropping a bit. Babe is only 1 week old.

Any hints from you ladies? She's using Lanolin. I've reminded her to drink lots of water and some milk teas have been suggested as well.
    Lanolin was OK for me, but olive oil, nipple butter, anything moisturizing is OK. But cracking makes me think thrush and/or the wrong size of horns. Probably both.

If her supply is dropping, she should consider the following:
    herbal teas and/or pills
    oatmeal
    pump every 2 hours around the clock, without fail. I think this has the greatest impact on supply than anything else. If you don't remove the milk like a baby would in those first 12 weeks -- 12 because a pump isn't as good as a baby at stimulating supply -- then the supply will not follow.
    hospital grade pump
    be fitted for horn size for sure, even if she has thrush.
    breast compressions (see the video at the top of this forum)
    hands free bra to allow some relaxation
    But at a week, I wouldn't expect ounces of milk per session, really. I was not able to start stockpiling until Gav was probably 10 days old. Part of that was because we had a power outage and I had to hand pump for an entire day instead of using a hospital grade pump when he was just over a week old, but part of it is that it takes time to start pumping ounces of milk. Fastest way to get there...make that pump imitate a baby who wants to nurse all the time.

Good luck to your friend! Hope her baby is doing OK and that he will be able to nurse eventually.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I was also thinking she may have the wrong size flanges, because I went through the same thing. after a few diff sizes of medelas, I finally bought some Pumpin Pals angled flanges 5 months ago. I haven't had a crack since. The suction is moved from the nipple closer to the upper edge of the flange to a less sensitive area. They also empty ducts around the base of the nipple that used to become clogged when I used the regular flanges.

I said this on the other thread, and I'll say it here too. PumpMom, you are coming across as someone who is only here to sell Pumpin Pals.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

op she might try hand expressing for a few feeding and see if she gets more milk with that and massage. Check that link at stanford for a great clip to watch...