Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Husband having trouble bottle-feeding

Default Husband having trouble bottle-feeding

It's kind of ironic to me that I exclusively pumped for the first 3 weeks of my son's life and ONLY fed him with bottles...and now, we're having the hardest time getting him to take one!

3 nights a week, I work overnight from 6p to 7/8a...so my husband usually has 3-4 feedings to take care of. I always pump enough milk for him, so there isn't a need for formula, but man he hates the bottle now! He cries and pushes the bottle away with his tongue and his hands and turns his head etc.

We've tried warming the nipple under running water, we've tried SEVERAL different types of nipples (right now we have the most success with Playtex wide nipples) but he still fights and fights my husband and makes me miserable at work...since he texts me and I know he's having such a hard time at 3 or 4am...
    There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it. ~Irena Chalmers

Default Re: Husband having trouble bottle-feedin

Ouch, that sounds hard...
    This isn't an area I am very familiar with but Im sure other mummas will chime in soon with some great suggestions. I know some people have had success with finger-feeding using a SNS system? And I know that it is possible to cup feed, but imagine that is more time consuming... Good luck and I hope you sort something out x
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

So sorry your little man is giving your big man grief. It probably doesn't feel good to have DH call you at work and get you frustrated b/c he is frustrated.
    if your DH is unhappy b/c he needs the LO to eat and sleep b/c DH has to get to work in the morning it might be time to call in re-enforcement
    it may be worth the money to get an overnight care provider.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I have no other comment other than to send hugs your way! My husband would do the same thing and it would eat me up inside. I'm sorry!
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

My dh and I just started bottle feeding our dd who is 6 weeks old and had the best success when she was still a little sleepy and rubbing the nipple against her mouth. She would open her mouth a little and take the rest of the nipple in. Also, we would try to time it 10 -15 minutes before her next feeding was due. This way the bottle was warm and she wasn't screaming for milk. Good luck, it's terribly frustrating when your at work and you know that your dh and baby are having a hard time. Hang in there!

A quick limk that may be helpful... http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Just leave it alone.

I went back to work when baby was 12 weeks and she refused a bottle too. We ordered the Nuby Spoon feeder and that worked for us. After 2 more months she finally took the bottle. HANG in there mama- i know it can be nerve wrecking

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*meche33g View Post
    I went back to work when baby was 12 weeks and she refused a bottle too. We ordered the Nuby Spoon feeder and that worked for us. After 2 more months she finally took the bottle. HANG in there mama- i know it can be nerve wrecking
    http://www.mothercare.com/Nuby-Squee.../dp/B003BIJ8V0

This one? I have never seen one of these! Looks like it would definately be worth a try.

This is a little bit worrying though... Soft Sipper Spout: 3+m Start Weaning using the Soft Sipper Spout for thick liquids, juice and water

Just leave it alone.

I was just in the exact same boat as you. I even noticed that our little guys were only born a few days apart.

Starting at one week old, I would have to express the front milk off my breasts, give it to him in a bottle, and then let him finish his feed on the breast. My breasts were so engorged when my milk came in that he just couldn't get his little mouth around my nipple. The suddenly at 2 months he rejected the bottle completely.

I tried EVERYTHING. He was normally eating from Born Free bottles, so I gave him Medela bottles and Breast Flow bottles. He hated both. Then a few nights ago I remembered that I had a set of stage 2 nipples for the Born Free bottles. I looked up when I was supposed to use them, and it said 2-3 months. The second we switch the nipples on the bottles, he has been sucking them down again.

We actually just left him with my mother in law for our first night out since he was born, tonight. I hope that works for you as well as it worked for us. Good luck mamma!!
    Wifey to Patricio 6/19/10
    Mommy to Patricio 5/25/11

Born Free