Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No meconium yet?

Default No meconium yet?

I was hoping not to have to post yet...My baby is now almost 41 hr old and still hasn't pooped any meconium. He's nursing well and I hear swallowing. He hasn't wet a diaper since yesterday afternoon though. He went awhile w/o nursing during the night too. Other thann that, he seems ok. Should I be concerned? MW said if still no poop to call his ped in the am.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Default Re: No meconium yet?

hi hi hi!!!!! Congratulations Katie!!!! Wow, your son is here! I have no answer to your Q though :-/
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Congratulations!!!

The general rule seems to be that in the first few days a newborn should have as many poopy diapers as how many days old he is. So he should poop once during the first 24 hours, twice during the next 24, and three times the next. One of my sources (Lawrence) says all meconium should be passed after 48 hours and you should start seeing transitional stool. It sounds like the concern is that if a baby isn't pooping, his body can reabsorb the bilirubin that's supposed be passed through the meconium.

So yeah, it sounds like a call to the doctor would be a good idea. Keep us posted if you can.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Thanks. I will wait a little bit longer and call. He's been passing gas and I can see some black around his anus - but nothing coming out. I really hope he goes soon.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

keep us posted if you can.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Did he have meconium at birth or did he pass any before birth?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Meconium tip- put some olive oil on the baby's bottom. When he poops, that sticky meconium will slide right off.

Hope he goes soon!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would call the pedi just to be on the safe side. DS barely pooped when he was a newborn, always less than the "recommended," and it freaked me out because when DD was born she pooped 12 times a day. The pedi ended up stimulating his bowels around a week old and it was awful, but it did get him pooping a little more often.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Is he peeing again yet? Sending you guys
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Is he peeing again yet? Sending you guys
    i would definitly call... we don't want him dehydrated can you see some milk coming out of your nipples??