Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Personal pump with strongest suction??

Question Personal pump with strongest suction??

Hello! I luuuuuuuuve my rented Symphony but need to switch to a personal pump. On the Symphony, I use the highest suction (400 is the vacuum spec, to be geeky ) and it's completely comfortable. In comparison, the personal Medelas (PIS, Freestyle) have a max vacuum of 250. I'm afraid pumping will take soooo much longer on a personal pump because of the lower suction power.

Has anyone compared suction power among personal pumps? Do any personal pumps go higher than 250?

TIA!
    Deborah

Default Re: Personal pump with strongest suction

My sister loves her PIS. she is a full time working mom and she successfully pumped for a year for both her kids w/ the same pump.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

You could look at the Freestyle, but yes, the professional grade pumps are way, way less efficient than a hospital grade pump. I get more milk faster and with less trauma than with any professional grade pump. But I can't seem to make anybody believe it...I said as much on a cleft board, and so many moms there EP and say they do just fine with a PISA. True, but....it's just easier with a Symphony! Sorry for the ramble And no, I don't know of any with the same suction.

What I do with a professional grade pump is figure on doing compressions the whole time (unless I'm driving) and it taking about 5 minutes longer, and I get less milk. Probably not an issue if you are not EPing though.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I had the same issue. I've been using a rented Ameda Elite hospital grade pump since my DS was born. I am convinced that this is why I am now able to EBF since the pump got my supply up.

I went back to work last week and purchased an Ameda Purely Yours from Amazon prior to starting as recommended by my IBCLC. When I tried it at home, the suction power was about half!!! Plus it's soooo loud!

In the short term, I ended up buying the Lansinoh manual pump (based on Amazon reviews) which I actually find very efficient and the suction power feels the same as the hospital grade. I have been using it at work every day and I am able to pump 4 oz in 10 minutes with minimal effort (3 times a day)...and with no noise!

But just so I have a double pump, I also recently purchased a used Ameda Elite hospital grade pump off eBay for $300 that I intend to bring to work next week after I sterilize it. I figured I was getting hospital grade pumping for price of high end personal pump, so it was a no brainer. And it's so quiet...there is another one listed for sale right now for $249.

I hope I can return the Ameda Purely Yours to Amazon...if not, I see that they're selling on eBay for almost full price!

Who said brestfeeding is cheaper than formula feeding? So far, I've spent almost $1,000 in 3 1/2 months on rental, above mentioned pumps, bags, nursing bras, nipple creams and so many other "necessities" But I enjoy every minute of breastfeeding my DS!
    Last edited by @llli*vizcaya01; August 10th, 2011 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vizcaya01 View Post
    Who said brestfeeding is cheaper than formula feeding? So far, I've spent almost $1,000 in 3 1/2 months on rental, above mentioned pumps, bags, nursing bras, nipple creams and so many other "necessities" But I enjoy every minute of breastfeeding my DS!
    Ain't that the truth. This EPing gig has cost me far, far more than nursing all three of my other kids for just about 2 years each combined! And I bought bags, bras and 2 different pumps during those years But this mess costs me over $100 a month with the pump rental, bags for storage (although I'm not using nearly what I was a few months ago), the special teats he needs, etc. I'm not convinced that formula wouldn't be cheaper in the end. But the baby is healthy, and honestly, that's what is best for him.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!