Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any nurses out there?

Default Re: Any nurses out there?

totally agree... I'm glad I'm in a different setting this time around... was talking with the RN I worked with today and she was so nice-- telling me don't take any **** from anyone when you say you have to go pump...

I feel bad-- which I know I shouldn't-- I try to be as fast as I can.... and I am still getting my work done ... (i hope!)

Ouch! There are laws protecting breastfeeding women in the workplace. An employer has to accommodate their needs (which vary from baby-to-baby, mother-to-mother so they cannot set an exact time limit). I would research the laws in your state. I live in Missouri and the law states that an employer HAS to give adequate break time for a nursing mother up to a year postpartum. They do not HAVE to pay you for your breaks (although most do) but they do have to provide you w/ not only a clean private area to pump (not a bathroom) but they have to provide you w/ breaks. How do you feel about presenting your manager/employer w/ the laws?
    BF'ing + pumping (working full time as BFPC) CD'ing , baby wearing , mother of an intact son , co-sleeping , and tandem nursing toddler... Plus I wear deodorant.

I have been back to work for two weeks as a nurse in an ER. I feed right before I leave and right when I get home. I pump twice at work and come home with 10 ounces. I pump on one side and feed on the other when I get home and pump again after he goes to sleep. That gives me the 16-18 ounces I need to make up for working. It is tough, but worth it! I eat my sandwich on the way to pump and on the way back. I pump on my 15 minute break and my lunch. It has not been an issue, but I did talk with the Labor Board about the new Federal Pumping Law. It is Federal, not State, and the employer HAS to comply if they have more than 50 employees. I will bring it up if need be, but so far have not had to, everyone lets me go pump. The law states that they have to provide the time and place to pump, period! No exceptions if you are an hourly employee. She sent me some info to give to my manager if needed. Let me know how it goes! It is tough, but it can be done! I also put my pump parts in a bag and throw them in the fridge without washing. I have gotten it down to two- twenty minute sessions.