Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sitter wants more, possibly over feeding

Default Sitter wants more, possibly over feeding

My MIL has been watching DS from 12-530. I have been leaving her with 11 oz of EBM and she has been hinting that he needs more. Well today DH picked him up at 530 and MIL told him DS drank all 11 oz and she had to give him ABM because he was still hungry. I am only pumping about 1 oz/hour so I end up getting up in the middle of the night to pump extra for her already. Is this normal? I think he may have had a tummy ache from being overfed. Can anyone help?

Default Re: Sitter wants more, possibly over fee

This link may help you determine how much milk your baby needs: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Getting just 1 oz when you pump sounds a bit on the low side, unless you are pumping very frequently. What sort of pump are you using and how often do you pump?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

1 oz per hour doesn't sound low to me I have always heard a baby needs 1 - 1.5 oz of bm per hour they are away from you. I found that my body seemed to make closer to the 1 oz per hours range. Personally, I think 11 oz for 5.5 hours sounds fine, if not on the high side. I certainly wouldn't encourage someone to have given my baby more than that, and I especially would have been unhappy if someone would have given her formula when I left that much milk.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!

I don't get just 1 oz when I pump. I usually get about 2 oz and I pump every 2 hours. I have the Medela Pump in Style. Thank you for the link. It looks like DS should be getting between 6-9 oz while he is with MIL.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ooky View Post
    1 oz per hour doesn't sound low to me I have always heard a baby needs 1 - 1.5 oz of bm per hour they are away from you.
    sorry, I was just thinking that 1 oz would be low if she was pumping every 3 hours or something. Apologies for the lack of clarity!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

You may want to ask when she's feeding - is she stretching out the time between feedings? It does seem a little high.
    Has she only fed formula fed babies before? Maybe getting her some literature about BF babies and pump fed babies so that she has a little more information will help. I would NOT be impressed with her feeding formula without speaking to you.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I seem to be having a similar issue... I give my sitter (5) four oz. bottles of milk to cover 7:30a to 5:30p and I nurse before and after work. My 3.5 month old son is a plump baby, yes, but I can't imagine that if I was home, nursing, that he would consume more than what I had available, so I don't want to supplement w/ formula, though my sitter is urging me to bring more milk and I cannot make any more. Shouldn't my baby be happy with [what I estimate to be] 28 oz of milk in a 24 hour period? I will supplement with formula if I absolutely have to, but made it to a year w/ my daughter w/o supplementing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    sorry, I was just thinking that 1 oz would be low if she was pumping every 3 hours or something. Apologies for the lack of clarity!
    Hi Mommal

Thank you. I work 1215-845 and I pump 5 times. I usually end up with 8-9 ounces. Do you have any advise on how I can get more?

This link covers increasing when pumping: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

Shouldn't there be a nap in here? Take out that 2 hours, and he really probably only needs 1 bottle, so it does seem like overfeeding to me.

On getting more, there are lots of little tricks. Some work for some, some don't. When I'm running low (I work 8-5, pump 3 times, and get around 12 oz average), I eat tons of oatmeal, take fenugreek/blessed thistle, and try to pump extra before bed or during the night.
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10