Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Raynaud's Syndrome - HELP!!

Default Raynaud's Syndrome - HELP!!

How long does this last? I read info on kellymom but I didn't see how long it lasts and very many options to help with the pain. I know you can use warm virgin olive oil but I still have an open wound that is finally healing and am scared to put the oil on it, a warm wash cloth helps for a few minutes and then I'm in pain again. Help!!
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: Raynaud's Syndrome - HELP!!

this link has some ideas for treatments. http://www.breastfeeding-problems.co...s-disease.html i hope you get some really good answers for this because i am also really curious how people treat it and what works best. the worst for me is taking a shower. no matter what temp i use it hurts. i am such a dork though because i have been having this pain for four months and thought it was normal

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to express my sympathy. I suffered from this for a few weeks because of medication I was on, and discontinuing the medication I was taking fixed it for me. I sure do hope you find some relief soon!

Raynaud's can last just a little while or for the rest of your life, depending on what is causing it. If you are experiencing vasospasms due to trauma to the nipple- and if you have an open wound this seems like a good bet- then once the trauma ends the vasospasms will probably disappear. But if you have an underlying case of Raynaud's- like it's something you've had all your life and something you are prone to- then it probably isn't going away anytime soon. Though if trauma is contributing to an underlying vasospasm issue, things should improve when the trauma ends.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have not been diagnosed with Raynaud's but have had vasospasms with both of my babies in the newborn period. They were so painful. Ibuprofen was the only thing that helped. Cutting out caffeine should help, too. Apparently B vitamins and Magnesium supplements can also make a difference but I didn't notice a significant difference until the trauma was healed (with both babies). DS is almost 7 months and I still get a bit of nipple blanching after he unlatches but it is nowhere near as painful. I don't know if I became desensitized to it or if it is less severe. But at this point it is a non-issue in terms of pain.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I have Raynaud's phenomenon and had this pain. As Mommal said the open sores sound like a latch issue, because Raynaud's causes vasospasms, nipple colour changes and/or nipple blanching, and is quite painful.
    For immediate relief staying WARM helped me. Drinking hot tea or soup and putting on a sweater, socks, etc. or if I was in searing pain asking DH to watch the baby while I took a hot shower/bath would do it. A hot foot bath would probably also heat you up quickly, but be sure to dump the water quickly afterward (not leave it in the living room) because standing water is a drowning hazard for LOs.

The good news is there is treatment for Raynaud's, I'm going to try this this winter after my pg is finished (actually today is my due date!):
    http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...13/4/e360.full print and bring to your HCP
    Nifedipine, a calcium channel blocker, inhibits the uptake of calcium by vascular smooth muscle cells and therefore is used mainly to treat hypertension, angina, and some arrhythmias. Because of its vasodilatory effects, nifedipine has been used to treat Raynaud’s phenomenon, including Raynaud’s phenomenon of the nipple. Ehrenkranz et al11 demonstrated that “a very insignificant fraction” (<5%) of the nifedipine dose given to a mother who expressed breast milk for her premature infant was actually measured in the breast milk. Because nifedipine has been used safely in children, and 90% of a dose is unavailable for transfer through breast milk because of binding to plasma proteins, nifedipine is considered to be safe for use by breastfeeding mothers. The American Academy of Pediatrics has approved the use of nifedipine in breastfeeding mothers, and in his book Medications and Mothers’ Milk, Hale12 documents the low levels of nifedipine (<1–10.3 μg/L) found in breast milk 1 to 3 hours after maternal dosing. Several cases in the literature report good results with nifedipine therapy, and 6 mothers in our series used it successfully. Nifedipine can be prescribed at 5 mg (3 times daily) or as a daily, 30-mg slow-release tablet. The medication is given for 2 weeks and then stopped. Often a 2-week course is sufficient to eliminate the symptoms, but sometimes patients require a second or third course of therapy. Although side effects of nifedipine include dizziness, flushing, headache, and tachycardia, only 1 of the mothers in our series experienced any side effects of the nifedipine. That mother developed headaches during her second course of treatment and discontinued the medication.

More info:
    http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...ename=doc-V-RP
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

I wasn't diagnosed with Raynaud's, but I did have nipple blanching and pain. For me, as soon as the wounds healed, the pain began to subside. Now, 8 months later, I still have nipple blanching but no pain whatsoever! I'd say it went away about 2.5m after it started.

For the pain, I used a heating pad or heated rice in a bag to help. I had my LO in the winter, so it was pretty nasty being cold all the time. Heat was the best thing for me - I even used a space heater on them! Advil also helped

Congrats on the soon to be LO bxlgirl!
    Thanks everyone for the input, I guess I'll be eating more hot foods and drinking hot liquids and have my heater on at work in the middle of August. My heating pad has disappeared so I can't use that at the moment but I'll def. be looking forward to the pain going away!
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

A relative of mine had Raynaud's and chose to take Nifedipine to manage it. It solved the problem for her and she is still nursing her baby, now a healthy toddler.