Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone reccommend bottles for BF babies ?

Default Can anyone reccommend bottles for BF babies ?

Can anyone reccommend bottles for BF babies ?

Default Re: Can anyone reccommend bottles for BF babies ?

When I had to go back to work, my LO did fine with Dr. Brown's bottles (they are slow flow). There was no nipple confusion; she nursed fine in the evenings, night, and early morning with me. I also waited until she was 8 weeks to introduce the bottle to her (once breastfeeding was pretty well established). However, I think it may just take some experimenting to see what works best for your baby. How old is your baby?
    ~Tiffany~

Truly blessed by God
    Wife to Will
    First Time Mom to C 2/18/11
    Made it 6 Mos. EBF Now enjoying BLS
    My baby is a year old now!

We had major nipple confusion until we switched to Playtex NaturaLatch bottles. I never tried the Dr. Brown's though.

We have had success with different bottles with each of them; we are using the Medela bottles and nipples with DS2. I think the one constant is that you use slow flow nipples. If your LO uses a pacifier you might try getting a bottle with a nipple that is similar in shape.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

We liked the Dr. Browns glass bottles -- they are set up to reduce the amount of air that gets in while drinking. After a while we could use anything, but for the first six months or so tht's all we used.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

We have used Breastflow bottles, NUK bottles, and several Playtex bottles. Not a fan of NUK bottles at all, and Playtex Drop-ins are more pain than useful IMO. My favorites are the Playtex Ventair bottles with WIDE nipple that mimics the breast. Breastflow bottles are okay, but the nipple compresses so much that it's hard for him to suck on sometimes. I have to often pull it out of his mouth, fix the nipple and give it back...that doesn't mimic breastfeeding, so I don't like those a whole lot. Playtex Ventair with Wide nipples are the best we've tried. I haven't tried Dr. Brown's bottles.
    There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it. ~Irena Chalmers

We've used the Playtex Drop in's and really liked them.

With DS #1 we tried a bunch-- the playtex drop ins-- milk POURED out of nipple, Ventaire with WIDE nipple- didn't have too much feeding problems-- but had leaking issues out the bottle, Soothie bottles (we used soothie paci's) same issue with milk pouring out... went with Medela nipples on the pumping bottles-- seemd to work well with him-- he was nursing about 2-3 times a day and then was at daycare full time by 12 weeks.

DS #2-- still trying to find the right one... went through all the above with him-- i think all of them are too fast for him-- and he is SUPER GASSY-- so far the Ventair as been working well with him-- haven't had too many leaking issues now that we have a new bottle with a vent that actually fits--- tried the new evenflo vent ones (blue nipple) didn't like them-- the nipple was standard size (not wide like the playtex ones) he seemed to do ok-- just didin't like them myself. I just bought the Avent bottles today-- 3 pk on sale at Target... so we will try these now-- I was too scared to spend the money on Dr Brown and Breast flows... good luck!! it's a hard decision sometimes!!

BreastFlow bottles are working well for me. I'd like to use the Playtex drop-ins though as the transfer from pump to bottle seems a little easier.

Has anyone tried the tomme tippie bottles? if so, what was your experience?
    Born Free, Breastfed & Cloth Diapered
    Miss Melanie Elyse
    5/29/11 @ 5:47pm
    7lbs-4oz & 19 inches