Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much milk and how long to pump?

Default How much milk and how long to pump?

Forgive me if this has been asked a million times but I don't have time to look for the answer.

I'm going to be leaving 4mo DD2 with my MIL for a couple hours in part to go out with friends and also to see how she'll do with a bottle. I've been pumping a couple of mornings this past week to create a small stash.

So:
    How much milk should I leave MIL if I'll be away for about 3-4hrs max?

If I'm pumping how long should I pump for? (I'm using a PIS to pump.) I've been aiming for 10 mins but I've no idea if that works.

TIA
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

Default Re: How much milk and how long to pump?

For short outings like that, your baby should only take 1 to 1.5 oz per hours of separation. So if you are going out for, say, lunch, a 2 oz bottle should be adequate. I used to leave a little extra in case of traffic. 3-4 hours, I'd leave 4-6 oz to be sure.

Pumping time varies. If you mostly BF, just pump until you get enough and save up as necessary. If you are going back to work and making pump sub for baby, pump for 15-30 minutes every 2-3 hours.

You do know a baby does not have to take a bottle, right?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: How much milk and how long to pump?

Thanks Susan!

I went from no neeed for bottles with DS (who refused them anyway) to full time pumping with DD1 and so I wasn't sure what was inbetween.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    You do know a baby does not have to take a bottle, right?
    Somehow I'm not certain my MIL would appreciate using a cup or other method with DD2
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011