Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Second guessing LO's eating less

Default Second guessing LO's eating less

I'll try not to make this into a novel... I have a 6.5 month old girl, she's amazing, growing well in the height/weight dept., and has been EBF. I have pumped occasionally and she will take a bottle.

I hit a rough patch with BF when most moms are hitting their stride - at about 8 weeks I suddenly couldn't have a let-down. My supply was fine and physically there was nothing keeping me from BF, it was more of a mental thing where I couldn't relax. LO wasn't patient at all back then - she would scream and cry until either I pumped to start things, or she got it in a bottle. I worked with a LC and we've been doing much better since then, though there was the occasional setback. But after a few months of things going smoothly, I think LO wants to eat less often - I don't know if it is my nerves resurfacing from past struggles, but I'm curious about what others moms have experienced.

She wakes for a feeding around 4-5 a.m. and will sleep for another 3-4 hours. A few weeks ago she was eating again when she woke around 8, but now she will latch for a few seconds but then turn away, perfectly content. I keep trying but she really seems to be done with it. It is usually not until after another nap, around 10 or 11 a.m., that she will eat again. I am shocked she can go that long after being asleep most of the night! She will eat another 3 times before going to bed between 7-8 p.m. She doesn't even seem to want her last feed before bed too much but will generally go for it.

Is it normal for them to ease up on the feedings at this age? She's doing a lot more physically - almost crawling, pulling up, standing - can this have something to do with it? Because of our past difficulties with the let-down, I am pretty anxious about dropping a feed, but I do see that she's getting older and bigger and this is probably just life.

I am giving her solids once a day, in the early evening, between feedings. This has been going on for about a month (before she started not wanting the morning feed), and I'm not planning on giving her any more until she can eat on her own.

I know babies vary so much - I am just curious if this is how they let you know what they're ready for. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Second guessing LO's eating less

Yes, that sounds within the realm of normal for a baby to me. Keep offering, and bear in mind that teething may change it all up on you anyway As long as she is growing well and producing the right amount of stools and wets, all is OK.

My third child did that. He was more interested in stuff than eating for a while, and I kept offering. He actually dropped off the charts, and then he came back on when the novelty wore off and he returned to more nursing and started eating more solids.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Second guessing LO's eating less

For my LO, her efficiency really notched up at about this age. She never dropped any feeds, but got very fast at nursing so she could get back to whatever new exploits she was into. Does she seem to empty the breast well when she does nurse? It's possible, especially if you have good supply, that she really is able to get all she needs in fewer sessions.

Watch her wets, poops, and weight (as pp said) and if that is in order, you should be fine.

And, she could turn around one day and decide she wants to nurse more. For instance, when she starts to crawl she may get some separation anxiety and need the closeness that nursing brings. Or teething. Or the inevitable boo-boos that come with being mobile.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010