Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk after weaning?

Default Milk after weaning?

After weaning from the breast, do you still give your baby milk powder? I still drink fresh milk as an adult.

Default Re: Milk after weaning?

My kids have never had milk powder. Somewhere around a year, I introduced cow's milk, because we like it, and they would have that in addition to mama milk. When they weaned entirely, they get cow's milk. Or almond milk. Or coconut milk. I only use dried milk in emergencies...I grew up drinking it, and it's gross.

Do you mean formula? Like that "toddler formula?" NOPE.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Personally, I gave my baby fresh cow's milk. I know a lot of people do not. If by "milk powder" you mean powdered formula, I would not think that would be necessary.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

I give my baby cow's milk.

But isn't formula or powdered milk from cow's milk? It is written on the pack that it is made from cow's milk imported from New Zealand.

Yes, formula is often made from cow's milk. It can also be made from soy. However, formula isn't just plain milk or soy. The milk/soy is broken down somewhat, making it easier to digest, and formula contains sugars, fats, minerals, and vitamins that are not naturally present in cow's milk. This is why formula is a good choice for babies who wean before the recommended minimum one year of breastfeeding: it's not breastmilk, but it is closer to breastmilk. Once a baby is a year old, however, you can replace formula with whole cow's milk or goat's milk, so there's no real reason to continue giving a baby a processed food (which is expensive and can be contaminated with all sorts of nasty things like BPA or insect parts) instead of a fresh food like cow's/goat's milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"