Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: not on the bottle...

Wink not on the bottle...

My baby is 3 months old and I have not introduce a bottle. I don't need to as I will be home with her and not going to work or anything. Because of this I didn't really think about it much until I had two people mention it - one saying her son and daughter in law had introduced a bottle so that the mother could "go out without worrying about missing a feeding", and the baby is 2 months old. I haven't left the baby with my husband at all, except for once when I went to the dentist and another time for a quick run - both short, and he wore her and she slept. I'm ok with this - I figure it will gradually change, as long as it's not "weird". I kind of thought this was normal...
    Another person mentioned how you have to do it early and then when I looked into it I realized we may have missed the boat. I just...was thinking about other things! (we just moved, which was a bit crazy!) And the thing is, I have no particular desire to get her to take a bottle. My husband isn't against it - I think he liked the idea that he could give her a bottle, since at this point she is often very insistent that she wants to be with me and will cry with him, despite his best efforts, and I think he thinks him being able to feed her would help. (but I really feel this is just a stage for her. and that she will soon be delighted to be with him, and play with him, and that it won't be about food!)
    I guess what I want to know is if it's "ok" that I haven't introduced a bottle. Also maybe, if you haven't, what you say to people who ask if you have? If you don't need to, is there reason NOT to? Am I just being "old-fashioned"?
    Sorry, this is a ramble. If anybody has any insight I'd love to hear it!
    thanks!

Default Re: not on the bottle...

I didn't even have a bottle in the house with my last two babies. As you add more kids its just easier to take them with you then to pump or suppiment.
    I took them everyplace I had to go. You can aways use a spoon or dropper if there is an emergancy.

I think it's totally fine to not give a bottle! I too have been given thus type of advice and I smile and say, "ooo, maybe your right." but inside I laugh because it's not like there is a window to "learn" to drink from a bottle. Don't feel pressured, if you want to then that's fine and if you don't thats fine too. :-)
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

I never gave my first baby a bottle because like you I stayed at home with her. We tried to leave her for the first time at 5 months and it was hard on the sitter, but they got through it. And then when she was about 10 months and started taking a sippy it was a non issue. IMHO, bottles cause obesity, tooth decay, and an unhealthy dependance on an inanimate object (you may detect I am a tad touchy about this subject). Even with my next two babies when I worked, I never, ever gave them a bottle myself. The bottles were for when I was away. It is totally OK not to give a bottle if you don't want to and take pride in the fact that your LO gets it only "straight from the tap"!
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*andrea.wolford View Post
    I didn't even have a bottle in the house with my last two babies. As you add more kids its just easier to take them with you then to pump or suppiment.
    I took them everyplace I had to go. You can aways use a spoon or dropper if there is an emergancy.
    Or use a sippy cup. Around 5 months, I start letting mine play with a cup and learning to drink from one. My third never really took to a bottle, and I was working a bit, so we used it for a while -- and the babysitter managed -- and then we went to the cup.

I HATE that my fourth has to use a bottle/feeder. HATE it. It is not how a baby should eat. Bottles are for emergencies only. If baby can be with me, then baby is with me. And baby goes everywhere with me.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If you don't have to use a bottle then that's great! My brothers and I were all breastfed by my SAHM and I don't think I ever saw a bottle growing up. As PP said, there are other ways to feed a baby if it's only for an occasional feeding. In a few months, she's be using a sippy cup on her own and it will be a non-issue.
    Heather

Mother of 2
    Aidan - 5 years -- breastfed for 4 months
    Avery - 5 months -- still breastfeeding -- 2nd time's the charm!

Thanks all - this is what I thought, just needed to hear it! She had medicine from a dropper and sucked it right back, so i'm sure that would work in an emergency. Did anybody express and freeze for emergency? I wonder how you would go about that...

Some people feel better with a freezer stash. I didn't have one at all with my second or third babies; I'd started one with my third and then gave it all away when he was a few months old. I'd never tapped into it at all anyway, even with working just a bit. It's just easier to take a baby with me instead of pumping and leaving a bottle and worrying about my baby

If you want one, find a time of day and pump a bit. For many moms, that is in the morning. Baby is relatively happy, mom has plenty of milk, and it's easy to collect an ounce or two to save. Or pump one side and nurse the other.

Make sure you don't have lipase issues before you start saving. Put the milk in 2-3 oz increments and freeze in milk bags.

Most SAHM don't need a lot anyway.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It does seem like there's an assumption that all bfing mothers are going to need to pump and bottle-feed at some point. But it really depends on your individual situation. I tried to introduce a bottle when my DD was about 3 months old (she didn't learn how to nurse well until 9 weeks, so earlier didn't seem like a good idea) because I was planning to go back to work, but she couldn't figure it out. So we started with a cup at 4 months (with a lid and spout, but no valve) and she did okay with it.

DS nursed for almost 4 years and never once had a bottle. I was home and didn't have any need to leave him for long periods of time, so it just didn't come up.
    Karen

~~~~
    My brilliant "babies":
    Butterfly - 13 yo - environmentalist
    NinjaBoy - 10 yo - stuntman