Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing of feedings - general question

Default Timing of feedings - general question

I am nursing my 11 week old on demand, but I wondered about when most of you offer. What I mean is, when he wakes up from a nap, I generally wait a little before I offer the breast -- my thinking is that during the day, he doesn't need to associate waking up with immediate feeding?

At night, he only wakes once or twice - I feed him immediately then because I want him to go back to sleep.

What do the rest of you do?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Timing of feedings - general questio

Why shouldn't he associate waking up with feeding? What if he woke up because he was hungry? I always offer to nurse my baby when she wakes up. If she isn't hungry or doesn't want to nurse, she won't.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

There's no harm in a baby associating the breast with transitions to and from sleep, though I acknowledge that some people feel it can be inconvenient at times. I think that if a baby wakes up and seems hungry or fussy, the breast is the easiest, fastest, most natural way to comfort them. And eventually kids transition out of needing the breast as a crutch without mama really needing to do anything to force the issue... So IMO, if you are willing to wait for your LO to make that transition himself, you can just do whatever feels right and seems easiest, without worrying that you're going to create an unbreakable association.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This post is interesting to me, because it's the first time I've ever seen anyone worry about feeding upon awakening, as opposed to feeding until asleep.

My 2.5 year old wakes up in the morning and has breakfast. She wakes up from her afternoon nap and has snack. I wake up in the morning and have breakfast. It doesn't seem that different to me.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I think you all took me too literally. What I meant was, do you take the child out of the bed and put him/her right to your breast? Or does anyone wait a little? My son seems willing to wait a few minutes, and it gives dad the opportunity to play with him/talk with him/snuggle with him.

I just wondered what others do. I don't ever put him off a ridiculous amount of time. In fact "putting him off" would be an incorrect phrasing.

I appreciate your willingness to talk to me about it.

There was a mom on here that didn't feed her baby until a couple hours after he woke up in the morning. I thought that was really weird.

I do both. Depends on what's going on.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I never wait longer than 30 minutes, and usually that's because he's woken up while I was in the shower or putting my daughter to bed or something goofy like that. We only use the bottle when absolutely necessary. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something way out of the ordinary. Usually, he's up, and within 10 - 15 minutes, I'm feeding him.

Thanks!

As long as your LO is happy, what you are doing is fine. My LO doesn't want to eat when he gets up in the morning right away and usually doesn't eat right away when he gets up from naps either.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thanks, scienceteacher! That makes me feel better! I just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something out in left field!

My LO is immediately hungry in the am. He wakes at 4:30am eats a bit, goes to sleep then wakes at 7:30ready to eat! Every baby is different I guess :-)
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/