Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not pumping what LO eats during day

Default Not pumping what LO eats during day

My LO is a few days shy of 7 wks, and I know I've posted similar to this but need extra reassurance that everything is going to be ok, she eats anywhere from 14-16 oz from 7:30 am to about 4 pm, at work alone, I only manage to pump anywhere between 9 to 10.5 oz. At home, we EBF and I'm trying to increase my supply but I am worried I won't be able to reach my goal of BFing for a year.
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: Not pumping what LO eats during day

I'm sorry! Hugs to you because I had the same issue with pumping for my first son. It is a terrible feeling. I might guess it's because babies are WAY better at emptying the breast than a pump. Have you tried adding a pumping session while at work to meet demand?
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

This is an issue I have too. I pump 2 oz in a session. However, it is not enough. Most of it comes during the stimulation phase, and even if I pump for 15 minutes more, hardly anymore of my milk is expressed. I even do a second stimulation to express more milk. How can I get more milk expressed in a session?

First of all 14-16 oz is a bit on the high side. So make sure that she isn't being overfed. (Good article on how much milk a baby needs: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html)

Here are just a few ideas for upping your output while pumping:

Always double pump, I love using a hands-free bra to accomplish this comfortably.
    Make sure you are using a high quality pump, some people do better with hospital-grade pumps that they rent.
    Check your pump to make sure your parts are giving your optimum suction and that the horns are the appropriate size for you.
    Do breast compressions while pumping.
    If you aren't already getting a second let down try pumping longer and see if that gets you one or turn off the pump after you stop getting milk, wait a couple minutes and turn it back on and see if you can get another let down.
    After you are done pumping try doing hand expressions. (http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...n-When-Pumping)
    Can you squeeze in another pumping session some time during the day? When I first went back to work I would BF when I woke up and then pump.

The board on increasing your supply has lots of links on supplements and herbs as well as things like power pumping sessions to boost milk production overall. The pumping and milk storage board and working and breastfeeding board also have lots of good advice that could help.
    Tamara -
    Mom to Lydia born 2/28/11

Good advice from PP. I would like to add that you can still make it to a year, even if you don't give 100% EBF/EBM. Obviously that's the ideal and the goal you have set for yourself, but the day you (hopefully not, but may) have to give a bottle of formula is not the day you stop breast feeding.

I pump as soon as I get to work; I get here 20 minutes early to accomplish this. You can also add an extra session on the weekends; that will give you extra milk for the following week, a/w/a providing stimulation to improve your supply overall.

I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to have a good, high-end, double electric pump. It is worth the money, and even when bought retail @ full price (which I don't suggest you do) is still cheaper than a year of formula. I bought mine @ www.bestbuybaby.com at probably 30-40% off retail. There is also www.nursingmothersupplies.com and www.discountbreastpumps.com

Good luck! You can do this!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I would suggest a couple things:

car pumping on the way to work, even if you just nursed. Over time, that can build up to a whole feeding.
    Check how they are feeding and comforting your LO. That is a lot of milk. Most BF babies only need 1 to 1.5 oz per hour of separation from mom
    Try some herbs and/or oatmeal
    Breast compresssions
    Hands free bra to allow you to do really good compressions
    What kind of pump do you have, and change out membranes and stuff like that
    make sure you are using the right sized horns, and bear in mind that you can use different sizes during the day. I recently discovered I do better if I start with a 36 in the AM and then drop to a 30 on my right side as the day progresses. Most women find the standard sized included with the pump is the wrong size.
    Power pump in the evenings after baby has gone to sleep
    If you are really short and baby is STTN, get up once between 12AM and 5AM and pump for a few minutes to take advantage of your naturally increased prolactin
    Get up earlier than baby in the AM and pump OR try pumping one side while baby nurses the other.

You can absolutely make it to a year. And BFing does not have to be all or nothing. If you give 90% BM and she gets one supplement at daycare, you are still doing a terrific job.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How big are the bottles you are sending? Some DCP will not save milk from one feeding to the next which is the right thing to do for formula but is a waste for BM. If LO is not finishing the bottles you might try less milk in the bottles so there is less waste.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

My mom watches my daughter and I give her 5 oz bags that she pours into the bottles. She says she starts w/ 4 oz and then adds as needed but after meeting with my local LC, I discussed w/ my mom that the LC said it should take 20 minutes for her to eat and told her we were going to try a different bottle because they (my mom and husband) keep tipping her back and angling the bottle when it needs to be more straight. So we'll see if that helps. LO was really fussy last night and didn't want to eat if her life depended on it and then after fighting to get her to sleep, she ate just fine this morning but fussed all day after I left the house this morning. Since we've been home, she nursed/snacked/sucked for 41 minutes and was content.
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

I'm not sure if this is an accurate statement, but I've heard that by manually expressing you are able to get more!?
    First time mommy to Brayden Andrew.
    Born 6.12.11, 8lbs 2oz, 21 1/4 inches
    Still trying to get a grasp on this whole breastfeeding thing... It's not as easy as I thought it would be but am sticking with it!!
    DS sleeps longer and better this way! with Balboa Baby & Ergo and cloth diapering

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mily View Post
    I'm not sure if this is an accurate statement, but I've heard that by manually expressing you are able to get more!?
    True for some women, definitely not for others. And some women pump and then hand express another ounce. That has never worked for me personally (I wonder if that's because I use a hospital grade pump and do breast compressions as I pump), but there are a few moms on the pumping forum who say it does work for them.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!