Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few more questions

Default A few more questions

Just a couple questions :-)

1) Where do I get a car adapter for my Lansinoh pump? Is it just some kind of standard adapter that I can get at RadioShack or is it special?

2) Have any tips on how to cut down on the sound of the pump? Very uncomfortable still with pumping at work (my 2nd week) as I have a busy office, blinds that you can almost see through if you really look, and primarily male co-workers near me. Feels soooo loud.

3) Does pumping increase supply? I pump 5 minutes and yield 4 oz but it feels like my OS and OALD has gotten worse since going back to work.

Thanks!!!

Default Re: A few more questions

Car adapter...check the Lansinoh website. I thought you could order one with an order form included with the pump, but I'd check the website first

Sound...you live with it. But I've considered putting a pillow or something over the pump and seeing if that helps. The Freestyle is super loud, way louder than the Lansinoh (I have both).

Yes, pumping can increase supply. Perhaps Tracie will be along to explain how she has managed OS and pumping; she's had that issue with two babies.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How many times are you pumping, for how long and how much milk are you getting total? Do you stop pumping before the milk stops coming out?

When I first came back to work, I needed to pump twice for a longer time, so that I could make sure I got all the milk out instead of three times. When I pumped three times, I would get too much milk and then I had an issue with engorgement on the weekends when I was at home. Also, I would stop pumping before the milk stopped coming out because I would get freaked out about how much I was getting. Originally I pumped at 7:30, 11:30ish and 3:00ish. I moved it to 9:30ish and 2:30ish. My baby is 6.5 months old, and now I pump two or three times a day. Some days I have a long meeting, so I pump a bit before and then after.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Hmm okay I wonder if I'm making the wrong assumption.

I assumed that if I just pumped out a little (1-2oz per side - 5 minutes total time pumping) 3x a day that was about right, keep the quantity small close to what I think she should be drinking (ie. she usually nurses on one side each feeding for 5-10 minutes) and maybe I wouldn't increase my supply.

But it sounds like it may be better to only have 2 sessions and pump it all out?

For some reason I thought if I emptied things out, the next time would result in even more milk.

Thanks for the help!

I don't really understand it myself, but if I pump for the same amount of time, total - say 3 times 20 minutes each or 2 times 30 minutes each, I always get more with the 3 times.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Interesting. I'll experiment this week and see if I notice a difference. I guess having too much milk is better than too little but gosh it's uncomfortable and I hate drowning the poor kid :-D

Thanks!

Yeah, it's one of those problems that's not a huge problem... except for the OALD. The problem I had the first time around was that I had a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance - so I'm really cautious to not repeat that.
    Tracie

Mommy to

i think that there is a negative feedback system going on in the breasts. meaning, when there is a lot of milk in the breast (when you have not pumped in awhile) that is a signal to reduce production. if the breasts are less full or being "emptied" more often, that is a signal to produce more milk. it is the way for the body to produce the correct amount of milk according to how much the baby removes.

i try to pump often because it helps maintain a good supply and prevent plugged ducts, however, i do need to watch myself because i was having some issues with OALD.

you will find a groove

Ah okay, that negative feedback sort of makes sense to me. I tried just 2x pumping today (9:30 and 2:00pm) and I didn't feel much more uncomfortable than when I do 3x a day so I'll see how it goes.

I have varying levels of OALD and OS throughout the day and night. Thankfully I think baby is getting used to the OALD most of the time. I've noticed that in the evenings when things are the softest (though still very plentiful) she complains a bit and prefers the side that has the most OALD. Odd.

Sometimes they get used to the OALD, and get ticked when they actually have to work for it
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos