Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some support and advise :(

Default Need some support and advise :(

So my DS is just about 6.5mths and I am EBF. However the past couple weeks have been horrible in that its been a terrible cycle in which he is so distracted that he doesnt want to nurse and in turn my supply seemed to have dropped and so that seems to make him even more frustrated and not want to nurse even more. So of course that doesnt help the supply either. Im so frustrated and close to tears that I dont even know what to do right now. Ive been trying to pump when he doesnt want to nurse, using a medela PISA, but I cant seem to let down now! Iven been pumping at work since he was 2 mths old and never had trouble with a letdown. Ive checked and replaced all the pump parts but that doesnt seem to help. So right now im just so scared that I might not be able to nurse him exclusively. I really want to nurse him at least a year if not longer so its very nerve wrecking to think my supply is tanking. He is still having atleast 6+ wet diapers a day and he has a couple explosive diapers a every 3 days or so, He weighs 21# so Im pretty sure he is getting enough milk...its just scary that hes only nursing maybe 3 minutes tops during the day and a total of 6 times during a 24 hr period. Sorry this has is so long but I just needed to vent and see if anyone has any suggestions? Thank you guys so much!

Default Re: Need some support and advise :(

My son is the same way at eight months (the excessive distractibility started around six months), however he nurses more frequently (between eight to twelve times in 24 hours) so my supply hasn't suffered. Can you offer to nurse more frequently? You could also pump right after nursing to boost your supply.

Also, because weight gain and diaper output is great, perhaps the fussiness is teething or some other discomfort and has nothing to do with supply. My son is sometimes nurses very poorly, pulling off the nipple and fussing a lot, when his gums are really bothering him. He can get a good feeding in a few minutes so it hasn't been a problem; I just offer to nurse often if I'm worried. He doesn't always accept, but it doesn't hurt to offer.

Sorry, I forgot to mention - try to distract yourself when you pump. Maybe read a book, watch television, play a game on your computer, etc.; these things help me get a letdown. Pumping used to be pretty easy for me, but a few months ago I started to need to flip on the tv and forget that I was pumping or I would barely get anything.

Do you have a fast flow? If so, that combined with the super efficient nursing of that age, he might be getting enough, even though it doesn't seem like he could be, particularly when you note how many wet diapers and poops he has.

One of mine went through a phase like that; he was too busy working on things to want to settle down to nurse well. I worked in a lot of dreamfeeds -- nursing when he was sleeping, like at naps and early in the morning and stuff like that. We coslept too, as just being near him encouraged him to nurse more. I offered any time he was in my arms. I offered before naps. Before meals. All the time. And he outgrew it and nursed until he was just about 2.

For the pumping, check to make sure you have the right sized horns. Most women are using the wrong size, which can make pumping very inefficient.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

We are going through that distracted stage too. It was especially bad when we were on vacation and there was so much to see and do! I also find that in the second half of the first year I stop feeling that fullness and it always makes me a little nervous.
    Try not to worry! Your baby sounds healthy and our bodies are made to match the needs of our babies. As long as he's still nursing with some regularity your body will still make milk! Healthy babies will take what they need.
    If distracting yourself while pumping doesn't do the trick and you still feel the need to pump for your own peace of mind, you could look into renting a hospital grade pump from your local pharmacy.
    Offer the breast as often as you feel the need to. Even a quick sip here and there is a good thing.

At 6 months my DS was SO busy doing other things that he often would nurse for 5 minutes or less total in a sitting and then he was off to the next activity. At first I was a bit surprised how a baby who had gone from nursing religiously for about 15-20 minutes in a sitting would suddenly chug his meal! But really, he just became much more efficient at eating and even though it felt at first like he was not eating as much, he really was. He was just super fast! Now he's settled back down a little and tends to eat a bit slower. They all seem to go through these phases.

I do best while pumping and looking at pictures of my kids or doing something that's related to them so that I think of them (like poke around on this forum). If I *think* too much about the pumping, it doesn't go well. I also would recommend looking into renting a hospital-grade pump. It's more efficient and is more effective at removing milk than the personal models. Especially if you're worried about your supply, it may be something worth considering even just on a short term basis for some peace of mind.

Good luck!!
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack