Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: starting zantac

Default starting zantac

Per my LC and pedi I am starting my DD on Zantac--I'm just not sure when to give it-it is ordered for twice a day but do I give it right before I nurse her or will it taste nasty and she will assoiate that with nursing and she wont want to nurse or do I give it after (but then she might spit it up)--Im not quite sure so if anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it--also does anyone know about how long it will take before I start noticing an improvment--thanks

Default Re: starting zantac

I was just about to start a thread with all your questons. I tried starting my DS on Zantac today. My ped recomended giving it every twelve hours. Unfortunately he spit it all right back out. Hopefully someone will have some wisdom for both of us. If I may ask what brought about your DD going on Zantac?

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

I am not familiar with Zantac, but I know with Prevacid it had to be taken on a empty stomach, wait 30 mins. after giving the meds to nurse/eat and to space the doses every 12 hours.
    A good site for reflux/GERD information is marci-kids.com, I don't know if it has any information about Zantac or you can go to the manufactures website and find out a lot of stuff also. (just remember, most of the medications are not approved to be used in infants, but there is nothing else out there so the pedis adjust the meds. to fit infant use, you'll see warnings on manufactures web sites about pediactric use). I believe Zantac is made by Pfizer, but I am not sure. I know Zantac works by neutralizing acid in your stomach and reduces the production of stomach acid. I believe it works pretty quickly. I know Prevacid can take up to 14 days to fully work, but from what I have heard about Zantac, it is a lot faster.
    Last edited by babygirlsmom1005; November 3rd, 2006 at 07:27 PM.

My DS was on Zantac until he was 5mo old. It didn't seem to matter to him when I gave it to him- and it was hard to plan around nursing because the doses were "x" amount of hours apart and my DS nursed at will. SO... if the nursing and Zantac were going to coincide, I would give him the medicine first and then a milk chaser. I figured the milk would cover up the flavor and not linger in his mouth like if I gave it to him afterwards.

That said, I will tell you one more thing. I started having my DS's Zantac compounded at a compounding pharmacy (not sure where you live, but I live in Podunk nowhere and we have a compounding pharmacy here, so you probably do, too). Anyway, the Zantac that is compounded is in a tablet form and the pharmacist makes up the med for you. There are 2 advantages to this- one, there is no alcohol in the compounded Zantac unlike regular prescription Zantac for infants. I didn't like the fact that I was giving my little DS's liver alcohol and this solved that problem. Two, they could flavor the medicine- Aaron had cherry. He liked it much better than the nasty mint flavor that Zantac usually comes in. If you've already filled your prescription, I highly recommend you call your ped back and get a new script and have yours compounded. (call around, someone near you does it!) It is much more palatable and good for your LO!

It took about 3-4 days to start seeing an improvement in Aaron when he started taking the Zantac- I hope yours works quickly and all goes better for all of you!

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynMama View Post
    I was just about to start a thread with all your questons. I tried starting my DS on Zantac today. My ped recomended giving it every twelve hours. Unfortunately he spit it all right back out. Hopefully someone will have some wisdom for both of us. If I may ask what brought about your DD going on Zantac?
    My dd had been nursing wonderful for the first 5 weeks and then started slowly getting fussier and fussier with each feeding and she would not stay latched on and would pop on and off. She also started spitting up a bit more-not much though. Lately when I would try to nurse her she would start screaming bloody murder and thats when I took her to see the pediatrician and she thught it might be reflux. She told me to try feeding her upright for a couple of days and if that didnt work to start her on the zantac. Well, I was freaked out about giving my brand new tiny little baby medication so I tried to wait it out and then decided to go see a lactation consultant to make sure I wasnt doing anything wrong. When I took her there this morning she told me that everything I was doing was great and she really thought it was reflux too and to go ahead and start the Zantac, so thats where I am now. I just gave it to her before this last feeding and she really didnt care too much for it but she took it (except for the tiny bit she drooled out). So hopefully it works and she gets better because I miss those wonderful "easy" nursing days and I want nothing more than for her to go back to that because I love nursing her.

We had DD on Zantac until she was 6 months and we gave it to her first thing in the morning and last thing before night time sleep, so it ended up being about 7 am and about 7 pm.

It's awful to have to give your precious, perfect LO meds, but if you have the same experience as I did, once you see the improvement you'll be so happy for her. As pp mentioned, it does take a couple days to see a real improvement. For me, I was so excited when I saw it, it was like, "Aha! I knew I had a happy baby in there somewhere!" She had been so miserable all the time for the first month

Compounding is a great idea, I didn't even know about it when we started Zantac, so DD had her meds either grape flavored or I'd mix it with some apple juice in the syringe. Try to shoot for the back of the cheek to help more of the meds make it into her tummy. Dr. Sears has some good advice for dosing at www.askdrsears.com

Good Luck!
    Last edited by @llli*evin; November 3rd, 2006 at 09:41 PM.

Zantac works quicker than Prevacid. You will usually see results with Zantac in about 2-3 days, sometimes sooner. Compounding pharmacy is a great idea but I would ask what "base" they use for compounding. Some pharmacies use Ora-Sweet, Simple Syrup, or Cherry Syrup as the base. These bases are very high in sugar. I would ask to pharmacy to use Ora-Sweet SF which is sugar free and a little bit easier on the baby! Most pharmacists know a great compounding pharmacy in your area - so ask the pharmacist at your regular pharmacy for a reccomendation. HTH!

Thank you everybody! I would love to hear from anyone about their experiences with Zantac. I am a little apprehensive about having to give my DS medication. We are hoping however that he won't be so uncomfortable. He cries for hours each day.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi