Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: takes longer to empty breast than before

Default takes longer to empty breast than before

DS is just over four months old and for the past week or so, I feel it takes longer time for me to pump and empty my breasts than before. I used to pump every 3-4 hours for 15 mins during the day, have about 5oz. For the past week, I only got around 3.5-4oz every 3-4 hours. Today I decided to pump a little longer because breasts are still really hard after 15 mins, and can still feel more let downs are coming. Eventually I spent almost 25 mins for 5 oz and still feel there maybe more juice can be squeezed, but I was impatient.

I also got my first period 2 weeks ago, although during the time my milk production went down, it came back up after, then only a few days later, I started experiencing drop of production for the same pumping time. Is there anyway to go back to the 15 mins? I have a hectic schedule and don't want to spend too much time pumping.

P.S. I do use the stimulation button on my PIS, but usually it doesn't make any differences, there is just nothing happens if I use it after the initial stimulation period, and I'm always using the full suction so there is no way to make the machine work harder, I also tried massaging breasts during pumping, but breast dislocate from the shield then I have to reposition it and it just becomes annoying after awhile.

Thanks

Default Re: takes longer to empty breast than be

Have you tried going up or down a size in the shields? also, have you replaced the white membranes on the valves?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Nope. If you are EPing, unfortunately, once your supply increases, you still end up spending MORE time at the pump (this is why nursing is so much easier!). And if you have spaced your sessions out, you must spend longer at the pump to ensure your supply stays up, for a total of at least 120 minutes in 24 hours. So if you are only pumping 5 times a day, you are going to have to spend more like 20-30 minutes at each session to maintain your supply...or it starts to drop.

Sometimes, when I know there's more in there but I'm not getting a good letdown -- I do not let down well to the pump to begin with -- I'll stop, walk around and then come back a half hour later or something like that. I also sometimes use herbs to help with letdown; marshmallow and blessed thistle help with that.

It is very typical for moms to see a drop in production when they have a cycle. Calcium/magnesium supplements help with that, as well as more time spent nursing and/or pumping.

Do not forget to do breast compressions and massage, as those do help.

When I have a minor drop in production, I increase the number of times I pump and increase the number of minutes spent at each session. Annoying, yes. I have a very busy life -- I have four kids under 7 -- but it's necessary, unfortunately, to make sure I have milk for my little guy.

if you are nursing, spend as much time as you can nursing. That's best for your supply.

ETA: And Tracie is right. Change out membranes and valves and check breast horn size.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Are you pumping at work or are you EPing? I got the sense she was pumping at work...

A hands-free kit really helped me. But my pumping sessions at work were about 20-25 minutes long to get what I needed - 3 X a day.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Are you pumping at work or are you EPing? I got the sense she was pumping at work...

A hands-free kit really helped me. But my pumping sessions at work were about 20-25 minutes long to get what I needed - 3 X a day.
    and I got the sense she was EPing. Either way, though, the longer sessions are probably correct. I don't know too many mamas who actually get away with just 30 minutes of pumping in 8 hours for long. And yep, the hands-free setup sure makes a big difference in comfort level, making it easier to do a longer session.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post

yes I pump at work, maybe i should try changing the membrane, but does the size of the shield go up? i have been using 27mm for 4 months. This sounds like shopping for bras

It can go up. The next size is a 30, and that's usually found at BRU. After that, it's a 36, which generally has to be ordered. Sometimes going down a size helps too, and that would be to the 24, which comes standard with just about all pumps. There's a sheet at the Medela site that shows how to make sure your horn size is correct, but it can still be wrong. By that (and two IBCLCs), I should take a 27, but a 36 works much better for me.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    and I got the sense she was EPing. Either way, though, the longer sessions are probably correct. I don't know too many mamas who actually get away with just 30 minutes of pumping in 8 hours for long. And yep, the hands-free setup sure makes a big difference in comfort level, making it easier to do a longer session.
    I do wear those bras that can hold the breastshields and make pumping hands free. and I only pump at work, I bf in the evening and at night. Although I like to DS to spend more time on the breasts, but he's not a big eater, sometimes after he finishes, I still feel half way full.

btw, marshmallow as herb? where can I get it?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    It can go up. The next size is a 30, and that's usually found at BRU. After that, it's a 36, which generally has to be ordered. Sometimes going down a size helps too, and that would be to the 24, which comes standard with just about all pumps. There's a sheet at the Medela site that shows how to make sure your horn size is correct, but it can still be wrong. By that (and two IBCLCs), I should take a 27, but a 36 works much better for me.
    ic, thanks for the info