Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back to work - what would you do?

Default Re: Back to work - what would you do?

She is still using Newborn/Low flow nipples.

We haven't tried the pacifier thing; I will definitely talk to my mom about that.

I do pump on weekends, but that ends up being the milk she eats on Monday (and allows Daddy to give her a bottle on Saturday/Sunday night, when he is home - he typically is gone all week on travel for business).

My mornings are already pretty frantic getting ready for work, getting her ready by myself (Dad is gone through the week). My first pumping session at work is at 7:30, right when I walk in the door. I normally get 5.6 - 6 oz that first session. This is after I have nursed her about an hour prior. So, I'm not sure how I could work that in.

I'm double pumping with a Pump In Style Advanced, hands-free (it's how I can pump 4x at work!). I do some massage while pumping, and normally pump for about 30-45 minutes to ensure I'm completely empty.

I just don't know what else to do, besides the pacifier trick. I don't think I can pump 5x/day at work - 4x/day is already pushing it with my door closed and DND sign out for over 2 hours/day as it is.

I think you're doing a great job!

I'd work with your DH to find OTHER ways he can bond with baby (like bath time) and NOT do bottles at home. 2 bottles at home is ~ 8 more oz you can use when she NEEDS to have a bottle when you're at work.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks for the support - sometimes it feels like I'm not doing a great job.

I'll see about cutting out the weekend nighttime bottles. It is such a luxury, though, as it allows me to catch up on a bit of sleep on those weekend nights. But, keeping her EBF is more important to me than a few extra hours of beauty sleep.

I'm still worried about worst case scenario though...

Well, if you want to keep doing that weekend bottle - you need to pump MORE than she's going to get. It's the only way to increase your supply...

16 ounces a day is on the high end of what she should need, but not too far out of the ballpark, I don't think. And that may go down some when she's older than 6 months and you can stretch her a bit with solids.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

But what happens if we can't make it to the 6 month mark? What's the best contingency plan?

So far, everyone has assumed that we will be okay (which I appreciate!), but I am a planner and need to start thinking about worst case scenario (although I hope it doesn't come to that!)

I think there are too many unknowns. You're going to get very different answers when baby is 3 mo old (NEEDS formula) than when baby is closer to 5 or 6 mo old (probably start solids).

I know it's hard to do - but I found it best to focus on the "now" and not try to plan for every "what if" scenario.

Keep doing what you're doing. Stay plenty hydrated. Stay focused on grandma not overfeeding. Try to remove "unnecessary" bottle feedings. Try to pump what you need day to day and NOT dip into the freezer stash except in emergencies.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Thanks for that. Sometimes I just need someone to state the obvious for me - focus only on the here and now, and what I can control!

For me, personally, formula is not an option. Not at all. (Clearly if it were medically indicated, I would give it, but that has not been the case) So if I needed to, I would get up a few times at night and pump. That hasn't happened, but that's what I would do. I would also add in extra sessions on the weekend.

If I were you, I would take a deep breath, tell myself that I can produce enough milk for my baby, and work on making sure that she actually needs all 16 of those ounces.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

For a contigency plan, I have a back up can of formula that I got from the dr's office. So far, I've never had to touch it but in a pinch, I have it. I think we are all trying to help you keep from having to use any formula so we hadn't been saying it. Once you start supplementing with formula, it's a real easy slide into constant supplementation. That's what happened with DS and I still feel really guilty about it (I know I shouldn't because I did the best with what I had at the time but guilt isn't rational). But if the baby is hungry and you are out of milk, by all means, feed her some formula. That's why formula was invented in the first place; to feed babies when mother's milk was not available.
    Heather

Mother of 2
    Aidan - 5 years -- breastfed for 4 months
    Avery - 5 months -- still breastfeeding -- 2nd time's the charm!

Deep breath!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I can make enough milk for my hippo! I will find a way