Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: questions from new mom/new BF

Question questions from new mom/new BF

Hi all, this seems like a great resource, glad I was able to find it. Have some questions, even though a couple days ago I was getting ready to quit BF, the past 24 hours we've had some progress. We were doing great in hospital, great latch, intake, etc. lactation consultant visited us briefly but we were doing so well we didn't need anything. Now we're home, and the baby required some formula supplementation for jaundice, so we have done a couple bottles which was necessary but I think was also the beginning of our troubles. Here are our current issues if anyone has any advice.

1) baby latches on but pops off multiple times during early feeding (eventually stays on and feeds productively)
    2) Nipple is a little flattened after feeding, and have callous(?) both nipples on top part which makes me think we're doing something wrong...
    3) baby's hands are constantly getting in her way of latching on - resists swaddling most times.
    4) We usually only do one breast per feeding because she feeds so long she falls asleep
    5) Should I be pumping at all or if baby is feeding every 2 hours, it's enough?
    6) I read on here about kind of preparing the breast before feeding - warm compress/massage to encourage let-down, but how do you have enough time at night to get ready when baby wakes up hungry and crying? She also attempts to latch so frantically her head is all over the place and arms are coming up and interfering?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. This is much harder than I assumed, but really want to make it work!

Thanks everyone for a great website
    Jennifer

Default Re: questions from new mom/new BF

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*curls1031 View Post
    1) baby latches on but pops off multiple times during early feeding (eventually stays on and feeds productively)
    2) Nipple is a little flattened after feeding, and have callous(?) both nipples on top part which makes me think we're doing something wrong...
    3) baby's hands are constantly getting in her way of latching on - resists swaddling most times.
    4) We usually only do one breast per feeding because she feeds so long she falls asleep
    6) I read on here about kind of preparing the breast before feeding - warm compress/massage to encourage let-down, but how do you have enough time at night to get ready when baby wakes up hungry and crying? She also attempts to latch so frantically her head is all over the place and arms are coming up and interfering?
    First of all, how many poops and wets does LO have? That is the best way to tell if you are feeding enough. As to some of your questions:
    1) Does your nipple spray when LO pops off? Sometimes popping off and on when they are tiny can indicate overactive let down.
    3) All of mine have done this. Sometimes nursing can seem like a wrestling match.
    4) As long as you are switching breasts each time and feeding on demand, this shouldn't be a problem.
    5) As long as you are not trying to increase supply, you don't need to pump.
    6) I am BF my third LO and I have never done any of these.

Hang in there--it sounds, honestly, like you are doing fine.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Congrats on the new baby and welcome!

Mine pops on and off a lot. She's older and starting to get easily distracted but it's pretty normal for all ages. It does slow things down a bit...

BF can definately be a wrestling match! Have you tried swaddling wraps? I find them a lot easier to deal with and they keep baby from squirming out.

Pumping this early really isn't necessary. Your body is still trying to figure out how much to make and if you are pumping off the opposite side, your body will get the signal to make more milk than you really need. Then you'll end up feeling full and miserable. Plenty of time to store up for work/freezer stash in a couple weeks.

You don't have to work at getting a let down beforehand (compression, compresses, etc) but sometimes it is helpful if LO is frantic. Then they get an immediate pay off and will settle down to eat better. Most of the time, try to get her to latch on and stimulate the letdown herself. But if she just won't latch, it wouldn't hurt to help her out.

Agree will PP, sounds like you're doing great. It's just so easy to second guess everything.
    Heather

Mother of 2
    Aidan - 5 years -- breastfed for 4 months
    Avery - 5 months -- still breastfeeding -- 2nd time's the charm!

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby!

Just for reference, did you ever find out what your baby's bilirubin level was when formula supplementation was advised? Usually when a baby is feeding well and the bill level is under 20, formula supplementation is not necessary. (I know this is probably totally academic at this point, but it's a nugget of info to keep on hand if you ever have more kids...)

That's pretty normal for a newborn. Remember, she is learning to breastfeed, just like you are! As long as she feeds productively and is having adequate wet and poopy diaper output, this is something that should eventually correct itself.

Are you in pain? Flattened nipples can be a sign of a shallow latch, but if there's no pain it's generally not a big problem. It will likely self-correct as the baby grows and her mouth grows.

I would keep trying the swaddling thing. New babies flail all over the place. It's pretty normal. You might also want to try sling feeding- if the baby is held close, her hands can't swat.

What would happen if you took her off the breast when she started to fall asleep, and switched her to the other side? One-sided feedings aren't something you really want to do with a newborn unless you have way too much milk. If you're frequently feeling full apor engorged and the baby is producing adequate diapers, then you're probably safe with one-sided feedings, but with a newborn you generally want to at least offer the second breast.

If the baby is producing adequate wet and poopy diapers, and is nursing well, there is generally no reason to pump. And good reasons not to: lots of moms pump themselves into oversupply situations.

As long as the baby is nursing well and having adequate wet and poopy diapers (sorry to sound like a broken record), the whole warm compress/massage thing is very much optional. Just focus on getting the baby to latch on and then let her suckling stimulate the letdown.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"