Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 year old not interested in solids

Default 2 year old not interested in solids

hi there

i'm becoming increasingly concerned about my 2 year old daughter's lack of interest in solids. we've tried everything anyone has suggested to us to try and interest her - getting her involved in preparation, different locations, lots of variety, offering food frequently, eating with her, feeding her before breastfeeds, feeding her after breastfeeds, not making any comments or talking about it in order not to stress her etc etc etc

even if she is very hungry and knows there's no more breastmilk left she will refuse a whole choice of foods and just become upset. these would be foods she has eaten and enjoyed before - she has no issue with variety but she doesn't like to eat the same thing very often. it's as if she feels that she really really really has to like the look of something to eat it, no matter how hungry she is and how much better she would feel afterwards. we did baby led weaning so she has no problem with lumps or textures and always initiated what she wanted to eat and when.

i don't know if maybe she doesn't understand the relationship between hunger and eating food?? it's like she thinks food is just for the taste and mostly she's got a lot else she's rather do?? she seems to breastfeed for comfort when she's hungry, but possibly also because she knows it gives her energy and takes the edge off her hunger.

on one hand i would like her to cut down her breastfeeds but she's ardently devoted (!!) and needs the connection to stay balanced emotionally - she's high need / extremely spirited and would be tantruming if it wasn't for the nummies so i'm mainly fine about continuing feeding "on demand" (i do distract and negotiate when i need to and she generally doesn't ask when we're out unless very stressed with crowds or noise), but i'd love there to be more solids in the mix as well.

has anyone else been through anything similar to this? i'm grateful for any responses.
    Sonya

DD 15/05/09

Default Re: 2 year old not interested in solids

I think there are lots of moms who have been through the wringer with kids and their weird issues with solids. My first didn't really touch more than a teaspoon or two per day of solid food until she was around 14-15 months old. And then she was super picky...

When it comes to solids, I think the difference between a challenge and a problem is the baby's health. If she is growing and developing normally, then you can relax and just keep offering. I know some moms have kept solid food diaries, because toddlers may eat a lot one day and nothing the next, or go on food jags- so if you take a snapshot of one day their diet looks crazy, but if you look at it over a longer time period it starts to look a lot more balanced.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think there are lots of moms who have been through the wringer with kids and their weird issues with solids. My first didn't really touch more than a teaspoon or two per day of solid food until she was around 14-15 months old. And then she was super picky...

When it comes to solids, I think the difference between a challenge and a problem is the baby's health. If she is growing and developing normally, then you can relax and just keep offering. I know some moms have kept solid food diaries, because toddlers may eat a lot one day and nothing the next, or go on food jags- so if you take a snapshot of one day their diet looks crazy, but if you look at it over a longer time period it starts to look a lot more balanced.
    Especially with the bolded part. My almost 2 1/2 year old is still quite picky. I swear somedays if it weren't for cheese and fruit I don't know what he would eat.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

at two its ok to set some limits if you feal like its time. hang in there.
    maybe keeping track of her diet for a few weeks will help you see that she is eating way more then you thought she was.
    My last two babies didn't eat much before they wer 18 months old. Soemtimes too when thier iron is low they don't eat much solid food have you had an iron check?

I was in the same boat as you. My son didn't pick up solids until around 18 months old.... He was super picky but at least ate at that point. I think around 2.5 was when I noticed a decrease in nursing and an increase in eating like "a normal person"

Make sure to check not long iron but ferritin levels. That is the biggest concern.

I know I'm not much help..but just coming for support because I've been there too and it really stressed me out.

And the fact that she is still nursing is a great thing. My SIL is a pediatrician and she was telling me about a four-year-old little girl that was so picky she would only drink cows milk. So her mom gave her a ton of milk because she didn't know what else to do. The little girl became so anemic that she had to be hospitalized for a significant amount of time. That is also when I learned how to check for severe anemia. If you can't see the "red lines" on your child's palm lines (they should have color to them) then you are dealing with significant anemia....but the point of this rambling is that breast milk offers a lot more than pasteurized cows milk!
    Adoptive and Bio Mommy to Two Breastfeeding Boys!

http://iamnotthebabysitter.com/

thanks so much for taking the time to respond. her iron is fine; it was checked a couple of months ago when she had a strange rash and the hospital checked everything. she is below weight on the official charts but i know these are based on formula fed infants and that often breast-feeders are leaner. she is active, with lots of energy and always interested in new things. also happy and very healthy. i know that it sounds like i shouldn't worry but it's gone on so long that i don't know when it gets to the point where i do need to worry?!

we do keep a diary and it's really not that much most days, but it is varied when viewed over a week or so. there's too much processed stuff for my liking but it's unfortunately that stuff she tends to eventually go for more often, and i'd rather she eat something than nothing. i think she must still get most of her nutrition from the breastmilk as she's rarely unwell and never anything serious or requiring antibiotics.

can you tell me what ferritin is?

thankyou
    Sonya

DD 15/05/09

Is there a possibility of food allergy and/or sensory integration disorder? The combo of picky eating, spirited, precarious emotional balance, and tantrum-y makes me wonder.

No matter what is behind all this, kudos to you for continuing to be willing to meet your daughter's need for nursing! You are doing her an amazing service.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

You can have a normal blood count and still have low iron. That was the case with my 4-year-old when we brought him home from Ethiopia. Our international doctor pushed for a ferritin level (he was noticing hyperactive behavior and getting upset easily (tantrums) that he has seen in other low ferritin kids) that our normal pediatrician doesn't normally do. So we got the test done and his levels were low. Once we started really giving him iron rich foods (I don't like supplementing with iron unless I have to) his behavior significantly changed.

The board of pediatrics right now is in the works of monitoring ferritin levels in children just like they do with other routine blood tests.

children who have iron deficiency (anemia) are the ones with completely exhausted iron stores in the liver, to a certain extent, the spleen and the entire red marrow. So that the ferritin levels, which is a measure of the stored iron in the body are the first to show up and the last to clear up after treatment.

They found it important because children who have anemia (even if it is caught right away) still have been found statistically lower with IQs than children that were never anemic. So they are saying now if you monitor ferritin levels before it gets to the point of showing up on a cbc it may lower the chance of it affecting brain development.

And take this for what you will. My youngest became anemic around 18 months and I don't think he is doomed to a low IQ...but it would have been nice to catch it with a ferritin test before it got to the point of mild anemia.
    Adoptive and Bio Mommy to Two Breastfeeding Boys!

http://iamnotthebabysitter.com/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*duckpond View Post
    Is there a possibility of food allergy and/or sensory integration disorder? The combo of picky eating, spirited, precarious emotional balance, and tantrum-y makes me wonder.

No matter what is behind all this, kudos to you for continuing to be willing to meet your daughter's need for nursing! You are doing her an amazing service.
    My little girl did not eat anything at that age either. I knew something was off so I took her in to the doc. She told me there was nothing as she seemed quite well and acted just fine. Long story short... Another Pediatrician discovered she most likely has Celiacs. She has been off gluten for about 8 months now. She is a different child with her eating.

thank-you for all your replies, i'm really very grateful. i'm going to speak to our doctor about checking her ferritin levels, definitely. i've also checked out the sensory integration disorder info briefly - interesting that some is similar to "spirited" or high need definitions. there's not a lot of it which fits but some aspects definitely do, such as her constant need to be on the go (she won't sit to eat, shifts around in her buggy or carseat) and also auditory "defensiveness" (very tuned in to sounds, and scared by dryers in public toilets / planes overhead etc).

my gut instinct is that there's no allergy / dietary issue going on as she's never constipated, sick or has diarhorea yet she eats something from all food groups (at times). bellababy, did your daughter have allergy symptoms before her diagnosis?

it's interesting as she isn't picky in the usual sense of the word, where she limits the types of things she'll eat; it's more that she maybe hasn't got an appetite or is so ambivalent to food that something has to really interest her for her to eat it. she does sometimes go for very spicy stuff and at other times she wants plain pasta, so i can't say that her taste is always the same either. she seems to like to try new things, but then be bored of having it again for a long long time. it's honestly as if she just sees eating food the way she sees drawing or playing with a certain toy - one day she's in the mood and the next she's not!

thanks to all of you for taking this seriously - i find i get a lot of people telling me not to worry, that toddlers are picky and to let her eat what she wants and it'll work out ... and i know it's more complex than that with her.
    Sonya

DD 15/05/09