Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: milk blisters

Default milk blisters

Hello! My baby is 13 months old and we are now only nursing in the evening/night/morning. My milk supply has adjusted to this and all was going well, except two days ago it was painful during nursing and I found 2 milk blisters. I can't recall every having problems on this breast before. Yesterday I sterilized a needle and cleared out one of the blisters. I was able to hand express the clogged ducts, which brought a lot of relief to the breast. I also did a dream feed to help empty the breast, but nursing has still been painful the last 4 feeds. I don't feel any significant lumps in my breast, it's just that my nipple is sore. It doesn't help that I've been trying to pick at it to re-open the milk blisters and I'm probably not hand-expressing correctly, so my breast doesn't feel that good, especially hanging out inside my bra (which I need to wear at work).

Is there anything I should be doing differently? It's been awhile since I've had a milk blister and I don't recall it still being painful after I was able to unclog it.

Default Re: milk blisters

I had a milk blister back when my DS was 2 months old (he's now 14 months). I recall being in quite a bit of pain for a while after it popped. I used the Kellymom.com website for help on what to do to help ease the pain. I wish I could provide a link. I think I soaked it in salt water following each nursing session, but it's been so long, I don't remember exactly.

A bad blister can be painful after it breaks. Like a tiny crack. If you have some lanolin, put that on it. Or tuck a cotton ball moistened with olive oil in your bra over the nipple. Moist healing is your friend!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I get these a lot. When I have a teething baby and/or have let the latch get sloppy, I get blisters. And now, while EPing, if I'm not totally careful about how the horns are on my breasts, I'll get one. I use Neosporin to help heal a really painful one, and Neosporin has a pain relief formula too Both are safe for a nursing baby. It's just a teeny little dab and then I put a nursing pad on to keep it off my clothes.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone on this and it's normal. Yes, I wonder if my baby might be teething or if her little cold is bothering her. That might be why I have milk blisters!

Anything that can change the latch can cause them.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!