Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! Prefers to be bottle fed BM

Default HELP! Prefers to be bottle fed BM

Hello ladies ,

I am hoping to gain some insight on how to soothe Elliza. She is 5 months, weight , and output great.

She is EBF . We recently moved and I had pumped a bit when we arrived . She has been bottle fed 3 times in the last 4 days. Prior to this she had only had a bottle a few times.

I have always worked for a let down in the late afternoon to bed . She was frustrated but I could soothe her until a letdown occured. Since having bottles she is VERY aggitated. I can tell she would like the instant gratification of the bottle.

I can manage in the mornings as my letdown occurs faster. Later on it is a struggle to even get her to stimulate the breast .

Any suggestions welcome!

Default Re: HELP! Prefers to be bottle fed BM

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/bre...pple-confusion

http://www.llli.org/faq/strike.html although you are not really dealing with a strike, as you can nurse her in the AM

http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_abo...confusion.html

I would suggest making sure you are using slow flow bottles, like a Breastflow bottle, one that makes baby work for her milk when/if you use bottles after getting through this. And honestly....I would ban it for now. She's smart. She figured out that nursing is hard work! I'd only give her milk in some other way, like an SNS or a syringe or something like that for now, until you get her back to the breast.

Try perhaps pumping to get the milk going and then put her to the breast so she gets some immediate gratification.

It's a tough place to be
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I just wanted to suggestion to find an alternative method of feeding if she won't take the breast. She probably has "flow confusion" where she does want the instant gratification that a bottle provides. When we were dealing with that, we used an SNS at the breast to get my son to suck (and sometimes we started out with the tube at our fingers rather than on the breast). Eventually, once we got him started sucking, we closed off the tube periodically to get him used to less immediate flow. It was a pain but useful for us with our nursing struggles.

I hope you find things settling down soon. It's also possible that the stress of the move has lowered your supply a bit. You might try increasing your fluids and getting a little extra rest if you can. A higher supply will help your baby be more willing to nurse.

I wish you well.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Thanks ladies . I have been standing lightly trotting and switching breasts to keep her occupied. It doesn't last too long but is difficult in public. I am going to do a few power pumping sessions to boost , get an SNS , and slower nipples .

Any recommendations on a SNS there are many out there .

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*angiefaith View Post
    Any recommendations on a SNS there are many out there .
    I used the one from Medela just because it's what my LC had. http://www.amazon.com/Medela-00901S-.../dp/B000NEDGB8

I can't say it's the best or compare it to anything other than the little starters I got from the hospital, but it met our needs. If you're not thinking long term, the little starters might actually work for you.

I'll hope someone else chimes in who might be more knowledgeable, though.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

I use the Lact-Aid system myself. I find it much easier to use than any other system. Baby controls the flow too, which I think is useful in these types of situations.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!