Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: finding a happy medium??

Default finding a happy medium??

Hello all,

I know I have OALD. So in the past I stopped pumping and LO switched herself to one sided feeding and I could tell it improved because LO stopped gagging and coughing and pulling off with milk squirting everywhere! Well, now that I am back to work I have to pump again and sometimes I find I go back into oversupply and back to OALD! Is there any way to avoid this? I try not to pump unless I absolutely have to (i.e. when I'm missing feedings and occasionally to make sure there is a bit extra for the next day). I'm back to OALD right now and I'm not sure if it's because LO had her 4 mon immunizations on Friday or if it's the OALD she's not liking because she is just not eating well this weekend.

Any insight?

Default Re: finding a happy medium??

How much are you pumping per day at work? How much is she drinking when she's away from you?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I found that I constantly needed to adjust my pumping routine to help manage my supply. Rather than having a fixed schedule with the number of pumping sessions and amount of time spent pumping.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    I found that I constantly needed to adjust my pumping routine to help manage my supply. Rather than having a fixed schedule with the number of pumping sessions and amount of time spent pumping.

I was having an issue at first with pumping way too much out and being engorged all weekend... so I played with the initial pump time to find something that worked with me getting enough milk out, but not too much, and not having engorgement/feeding issues all weekend.

And today, I guess Trixie must have been eating a ton over the weekend at night, but not last night and I needed to pump as soon as I got to work and I'll end up pumping three times today.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I've only had to pump off and on, but did have to do it while I was also dealing with oversupply. What worked for me was only pumping one side at a time, and only about 5 minutes at a time. I didn't want to over-stimulate my breasts. Basically, what I was looking for was making sure to pump just enough to leave for DD, but not more. I could easily have pumped 2x the amount I did (and I admit it was tempting), but I made sure to stop.

Then again, I also regularly had plugs during this time, so maybe I shouldn't have done it this way.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How much are you pumping per day at work? How much is she drinking when she's away from you?
    She takes about 4oz 3 times while I'm at work. I pump once before I leave work (and sometimes I don't get much because I also nurse her before I leave) then I pump twice at work and usually get somewhere between 4-5 oz and then I don't usually pump one more time at home unless I didn't get much during my other pumping sessions. I also have quite an impressive frozen stash (I like to give her fresh though) so really if I don't end up with enough I suppose it's not the end of teh world because there is frozen available. My supply has always been so finicky (or at least I think it has)...and I know that you have to pump for every missed feed. Unfortunately, my job is one that is hard for me to get away so the fact that I manage to get away every 4-5 hrs to pump is pretty good. So I double pump for 10 min to get the 4-5 oz. If I pumped for less or one side at a time I wouldn't get enough. I guess I will just have to try playing with it and see what happens. I think my LO gets confused...she probably also has some flow confusion too. Some days let down comes pretty quick...other days it takes a few minutes and she let's go prematurely and then I have a hard time getting her to latch back on when let down occurs. Also, some days my breasts feel very empty and I don't know how much she is getting...but she does have ok wets during those days and she doesn't seem to cry for food so I suppose she probably is getting enough. This breastfeeding thing is hard work! My LO is only 4 mon old! I'm hoping to get her through her first year on breastmilk but this is making me a little crazy. Sorry this turned out to be a bit of a vent as well! Thanks for your support ladies!

When I went to work, I found that pumping less frequently, but for a longer time, better mimicked block feeding for me. So where other women would pump both sides every 2-3 hours for 15 minutes, I pumped both sides every three to four hours for 25 minutes, which was more like my one boob every two hours, totally emptying, pattern when I was home with Joe. If a mom with low supply tried this, it could tank her supply, but if you have high supply, OALD, and your breasts are very responsive to stimulation, you might find that adjusting your pumping a little can help keep your pump output more similar to your nursing at home output, if that makes sense.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.