Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Don't want to stop BFing 8 month baby :(

Default Don't want to stop BFing 8 month baby :(

I'm having a problem with my RIGHT breast.
    It once was my son's favorite side to nurse,
    and now one bigger right side later, he hates my left.
    Now, he will nurse from it, for about a few minutes until he decides to roll around and attempt to take my nipple with him, or just holds on to my breast with both hands and pulls his head back while "eating" which is painful.

Long story short, I am not able to pump at work any longer. I once did and the room i was given is used by the owners of the company, and I already pumped in the car manually for months but since I wasn't eating on any breaks because I was using them all to pump every given minute it was making it hard for me to eat a sufficient amount during the day (I work over 8 hours a day in an open office space). Although very inconvenient to pump in the car with temperatures I live in, I was committed to making it work. But then my schedule changed.

I only fed my son the first half of the day, then the second half it was expressed milk. BUT then my schedule changed, I had to reverse my feedings and for some reason my supply began to get lower. My son starting preferring the left side causing my right side to get lower. I offer the right first, and sometimes even begin with the same side since he wont nurse for long on it. I've tried pumping more. I drink water like a camel. I even stopped working out because i thought that affected it. I drink mother's milk tea. Eat oatmeal. The LEFT side just makes more milk and the right stays the same.
    I look down and my right breast just looks.. sad. I'm sad.

With all the stress I forced myself to nurse less and began to supplement when he wasn't full. I want to keep nursing now. I want my right side to satisfy my son like my left side. I still nurse, just less. I would like to nurse more again.

Any other ideas? Any way to make the right side produce more again?

I'd REALLY appreciate it. I'm a FTM and don't want to feel like I could have done more and just didn't.

EDIT: the right nipple became real painful a few weeks ago and i continued to nurse thinking it was plugged because I saw a tiny white dot that stayed there for a while. Could my right side have an issue?

With that being said,

I to all the mamas who pump at work and exclusively pump.
    Last edited by @llli*pajaros; August 5th, 2011 at 08:59 PM.

Default Re: Don't want to stop BFing 8 month bab

Why are you supplementing if the left side makes enough? I understand wanting to work to get the right side to produce more....but why supplement at all if the left is filling him up?

Way too lazy for formula

Im with the Queen up there.. Maybe not what you want to hear but -plenty of Mummas feed exclusively from one side.

That sounds like hard going, pumping in your car. When are the States going to catch up with the civilized world when it comes to rights for breastfeeding/working Mothers.

Babies are fickle little things and they do go through stages where they prefer one side to the other. Especially around this age, they are so distractable it's not funny.

Do you feel a let down on the least favorite side? Is it possible he is just super quick at draining it? The only way to increase supply is to feed feed feed or pump pump pump. Pretty simple...Milk out = milk in.
    Did the white dot go away? is your nipple still sore?

Is it possible to have a 'nurse-in' over the weekend and just hang out with your baby in bed, letting him nurse whenever he wants? have baths with him and just give him unrestricted access to your breast and rediscover all those nice snuggly things about nursing. It sounds like you super stressed and that is not good for your supply. Defo doesnt sound like you need to stop feeding though...you just need to find your rythem again....You can do it girl!!!
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

white spot sounds alot like a bleb.. more info here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

IF you realy look around at other ladies you see that most have one breast that is bigger then the other its part of nature even normal, and even in ladies that have not nursed a baby...

And by all means you CAN get the supply up on your other side. By block feeding on it. Always starting on that side and ONLY feeding on that side every other time. IT should really only take a few days. So that is completely possible. It's all supply and demand. I think the larger issue in this situation seems to be that you are somehow talking yourself OUT of your ability to nurse based on what is going on with your schedule at your job. And I certainly don't want to see you stop feeding your 8 month old. So step away from the supplements. I know that pumping in the car has worked for several mothers here. And stand up for your right to pump at work. It's a right protected by law.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    And by all means you CAN get the supply up on your other side. By block feeding on it. Always starting on that side and ONLY feeding on that side every other time. IT should really only take a few days. So that is completely possible. It's all supply and demand. I think the larger issue in this situation seems to be that you are somehow talking yourself OUT of your ability to nurse based on what is going on with your schedule at your job. And I certainly don't want to see you stop feeding your 8 month old. So step away from the supplements. I know that pumping in the car has worked for several mothers here. And stand up for your right to pump at work. It's a right protected by law.
    I completely agree with all of this. Have you voiced your concerns at work? A hands free pumping bra might help you pump in the car and eat a little something at the same time.

I just wanted to add that you can up supply in the right breast even if your baby refuses it. When you are at home nursing him, you can try to always pump the right breast immediately after he feeds on the left. Do this every time he nurses. If you can swing it, throw in some extra pumping sessions on the right in between times that he nurses. Don't worry if you don't get much out, just keep on pumping. The increased supply on the right might help coax him back onto that breast. Try to relax. You are still producing on the left so there is absolutely no reason that you can't still nurse your baby. Plus, with some with some work, it should be possible to get your supply back up on the right.

Did I read that, right? You pumped manually? If this is true have you considered investing in an electric pump? That would help with your supply as well.

Thank you for your advice Ladies!

If i sounded like I want to make myself quit, I came across wrong. I would love to nurse him.

He was a big boy and a great eater from the beginning. He was born over 9 pounds and ate every hr for about an hour the first few months... I was literally attached to my baby for those few months.

I have a Symphony pump. It worked wonders for me. I would get an abundance of milk and had a nice freezer stash. I would pump 10oz in the morning when I worked morning shift. and even though i did pump at work, and BF all night long, my supply dwindled. That's when I had to start supplementing because my baby would empty out both sides and scream. I would re latch him and encourage him to keep nursing but he was very impatient and I didn't want to make him stay hungry. He was unsatisfied, he began yanking my skin, pinching my nipples and it broke my heart.

And I'm not comfortable sharing the only room i was given to pump with the computer techs and owners of the company at work, that is why I had to stop using the room. I even used the FREEZING electronic room which isn't available right now.

Believe me Ladies, I went through tough times pumping at work, but by no means am I complaining.
    Now that I have to leave him with his grandmother I ran out of the freezer stash and the times i can pump at home I use it to nurse him. Because I know that nurse more= more milk.

Even though my LEFT feels like it makes more because when he nurses on that side he is more calm he still is highly distracted and ditches my boob for anything in sight.. like the wall. He'd rather crawl to the wall and scratch it when we nurse in bed..

Can you pump in the car on the way to and fro?

Way too lazy for formula