Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Period?

Default Period?

About two weeks ago I believe I got AF back . My LO is almost 7 months old and we've been exclusively BF [ no cereal, formula, babyfoods ] and he does not sleep through the night [ has a 4 hour stretch one time at night then every two hours the rest of the day. I had bleeding off and on and awful cramps for 7 days. Two weeks later- I'm having it again! Nothing has changed and I'm on the mini pill [ where you take the pill every day- no week off ]. Is this normal for my period trying to figure out what it's cycle is going to be? The reason I'm worried is because I actually have a pretty big cyst they have been watching on my cervix and told me, " if you have any issues with the cyst and it starts to bother you, let us know so we can do another ultrasound and do a biopsy " [ which....how the heck am I supposed to know THAT? ugh! ] so I'm not sure if this is normal for my period trying to show up again or if I should be worried.
    Mom to Raven [3/24/06] & Logan [ 1/10/11 ] [ while working ] and going strong

Default Re: Period?

My understanding is that the "period" you get with hormonal contraception is not actually a period. It's breakthrough bleeding- irregular sloughing of the endometrial lining- unconnected with the normal hormonal fluctuations on the menstrual cycle. The key word here being "irregular"- which would account for the "on and off" bleeding and the fact that you saw bleeding just 2 weeks after the first time.

In short, no, this is not your period's new normal because this wsn't your period, and it's probably ot something to be worried about because this sort of bleeding is a common side-effect of hormonal contraception.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Period?

oh ok- I wasn't thinking of that at all because they assured me it was such a low dose pill -- that it wouldn't effect my period at all [ which is why they SAID you take it every single day instead of taking the week off ]. UGH! I wish I wasn't so nervous to try natural family planning!!
    Mom to Raven [3/24/06] & Logan [ 1/10/11 ] [ while working ] and going strong