Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I can, I think I can . . .

Default I think I can, I think I can . . .

Just venting here and maybe needing a word of support. I started a new job 4 weeks ago that I knew would be intense and would challenge my BF-ing relationship with my 9 month old daughter, but for a variety of reasons (including the economy) it was the best choice for our family. I have just survived my first two-day business trip pumping every four hours and having to explain to 2 old dudes traveling with me what the hell I'm doing in the bathroom for twenty minutes every 4 hours (they were understanding of course because nothing shuts up an old dude like saying you are going to pump). I am so sick of pumping. I have my eyes on her one-year birthday when I can start to pump wean and not have to lose an hour or more of billable time every day to THE PUMP. I am exhausted from working so many hours and am thinking of the six-week supply I have in the freezer and wondering if I could pump wean early, and then I think, but I've come this far . . . . and my kid is doing SO GREAT. Okay, rant over. I will try to make it another 3 months.

Default Re: I think I can, I think I can . . .

You can do it. And she is worth it. She deserves your milk! Her long term health is worth one billable hour a day. I mean literally. How much does asthma or chronic ear infections of diabetes cost? Hopefully you'll never know! Stay focused Mama. You were meant to do this.

Way too lazy for formula

You can make it three more months!! And when it is over you can look back and it will be one of the great accomplishments of your life, to be able to say your baby was formula free!
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

hi mama! pumping stinks! for me, it only amplifies the fact that i am not at home with my baby. it is so hard. you should chime in on the pumping chit chat thread, it is a great way to laugh or vent. my favorite thread

i was soooo exhausted the 2 months back to work. i have gotten into a groove now and it is better, it will get better.

I know you are all right! Everything is worse when you are hungry and tired. Thanks!

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

well done! Great to hear such dedication! You can do it, and you will soon be in the swing of it all. I was pretty glad to quit pumping at work too. I just went off my son's needs. If he wasn't asking for it - I didn't pump!

I just realized it sounded like "billable hour" was how I made money and I was more worried about that one hour than pumping. "Billable hour" is solely my law firm's measure of my productivity-- not connected to my salary. They give me a yearly quota and if I don't meet it I get a bad review. So every hour I spend pumping is another hour later I'm working or working from home on the weekend. My perspective is back in check though and I'm just going to keep pumping away and working away. 3 months is nothing. Thanks for the support.

not sure what your commute is like but i pump in the car on my way to work and on the way home if i need a few extra oz

to car pumping on the way in.

I get what you are saying about billable hours. I'm in the same boat too. I am paid a high hourly wage, but when I'm pumping, I'm not really on the clock...but I started stacking my charts up and working on those while I pump.

Before long, you will be able to start cutting back. You can do it!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I know this doesn't apply to your trip, but can you bill while pumping? I do pretty much everyday.

Eta:to clarify I AM actually working too, I reread that and it seemed lik I was just pumping and billing without actually putting in the work.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language