Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: After one change pumping times?

Default After one change pumping times?

WoooHooooo! We made it to a year breast feeding! I have been pumping 4 times a day, as I work full time. Once in the morning at home, three times at work. I pump once a day on weekends and we nurse while we are together. Now that we are at a year, my DS and I still want to continue. In the beginning I would pump 15-18oz a day, now I am down to 10oz a day. Really it's all he needs while at daycare. My questions are- can I start to pump less often or should I still continue with my 4 times? Will my supply reduce even more if I pump less?

Thank you, I really appreciate all the support I receive from everyone here!

Default Re: After one change pumping times?

Congrats!!!
    You sound like you have a pretty rockin supply. Yes... you can start to pump less often and yes it will slightly decrease your supply. Since you pump so often and sounds like you make a lot, it would probably be wise to slowly pump wean. By that, I mean only drop one session a day for a while, then drop 2 sessions a day for a while... YKWIM? Also, since you make so much, you may just need to shorten your pumping session that you are going to drop at first by half (like 7 minutes of pumping vs 15-20 min) and pump wean slow like that before you drop a session alltogether. 10 ounces is a lot of milk to just all of a sudden not pump out. This will make pump weaning more comfortable for you, and also help to prevent issues like mastitis, plugged ducts etc.

As far as pump weaning... sounds like a lot of moms on here do it around a year. I think I am the only person that still pumps at work (there might be a few others) for an older kiddo. My son is almost 2 years old and I still pump at work a few times a day so that my supply is there for him on days Im off. (I am gone from 6am-9pm three days in a row every week (nurse)) My goal was to make it to age 2 so thats why I still pump so much... didnt want to take any chances.. but I know a lot of moms on here pump wean and continue to make it for a really long time, they may only be nursing a few times a day??

Your supply sounds a lot like mine at a year. And your pumping schedule sounds the same as mine then too. I now pump before leaving house, 11 am, 3 pm, and 8pm. I am getting about 10 oz total for all those pumping sessions and leave it for my son to drink while I am at work.. He still nurses a lot when I am home but is definately starting to slow down a lot and my supply is less than half of what it was a year ago.
    I guess my point is, you can pump wean as slow as you want or a lot faster too.
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

Wow! You have a nice supply.

My situation might be a little bit different because I'm slowly working my DS towards weaning by offering cow's milk during the day, but I "day-weaned" my DS, which would be similar to pump-weaning. I was a stay-at-home mom for my DS's first year, but I'm going back to work at the end of August (teacher). I wanted to continue breastfeeding, but I didn't really want to have to pump. I spoke to a lactation consultant as well as some Mommies on this board who told me that it is okay for kiddoes to go all day without nursing. Currently, I nurse in the morning, usually at 4:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Then, I don't nurse again until 3:30. After 3:30, he has on-demand access. During the day, I always have a sippy of cow's milk available or a cup of water for him to sip from.

This has worked for us. I did wean him off his day feedings slowly, but he was really eating a lot of solids by the time he turned 1 (by his choice), so he wasn't really nursing all that much anyway. I have no idea what my supply is like as I don't pump anymore, but I'm pretty sure it's low. But that works for me because I'm looking to wean in the next couple months, if not sooner.

I posted a similar question in early June in the "weaning" forum on this board. If you're interested in other opinions, maybe check it out.

Good luck!

Hello

My son is almost 15 months old. I went back to work full-time when he was 3 months (my mother watches him). I pumped 3x's per day at work (9am-5pm) and nursed all the rest of the time on demand. I also pumped during the night when he would sleep through to keep my milk up for the nights he did not. My supply (according to your pump output) seems to have been exactly like yours.

We were very lucky to have a really good feezer stash and I was very much looking forward to pump weaning (understatement), so I reduce to 2x's a day when he was 10 months to 1x a day when he was 11 months and then was able to stop pumping completely the week after he turned 1.

At that point, he was day weaned from actually nursing but still getting BM (cup or bottle) until about 13 months when our freezer stash ran out. We had been mixing with cow's milk and he was fine when the offical switch happened.

My supply adjusted very well, and we still nurse when he gets up in the morning and before he goes to bed at night (and if necessary during the night, but that is very rare these days - good sleeper!).

I just really had to day wean so I could stop pumping.

I hope to continue our current "schedule" for at least another year! I love nursing him, but HATED pumping. I had to do it because I have to work and I would not consider supplementing with formula.

I was told that at long as he nurses well twice a day and is getting good nutrition, he didn't really need much cow's milk at all during the day. His diet is very varied and he is an excellent eater. Some days he gets no cow's milk at all. He drinks water (and sometimes juice) thought the day. He is growing well - has always been 90th percentile since birth.

I think you can definitely pump less often - reduce slowly so your supply can adjust - and still nurse morning and night without any problems.

Good Luck!

You can also pump wean while at work and nurse on demand all day on the weekend. You don't have to day wean on the weekend just because you did during the week.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months