Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing while baby wearing

Question Nursing while baby wearing

I've read several posts about nursing while baby wearing and I must say I'm confused. Is this only for people with normal sized breasts (whatever that is ;-) I bought a moby and really want to try this but the whole placement and logistics confuses me. I have large (38 G) breasts and they sit at his tummy when he's in the wrap. How is it possible to nurse?? Any guidance would be appreciated!!
    Pumped for Kaiser (DS1) for 6 months (8/16/08)

Now BF Ronin (DS2) AND I'M SO HAPPY!!! (6/16/11)

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!
    http://www.hmbana.org/

Default Re: Nursing while baby wearing

I have larger breasts too and it took me a while to get it, and I really wasn't successful until the baby was around 3 months or maybe older. In the Moby I lean forward so he goes down a bit and have to do some wriggling to get him latched correctly. Knave to lift up my breast initially, and then I support his head with my arm/hand. Hope that makes sense. Now that he's bigger I do the same thing in the ergo but the hood thing can usually support hus head. Sometimes I need to hold up my breast to keep him on. I think it's probably easier if you have smaller breasts but I think you can get it (I'm DDD or E I think...).

Big Brother born 2/2009
    Little Brother born 1/2011

i think its mostly about getting comfortable with the carrier you have, then figuring out how to move your breast/the baby into a position where you can nurse. good luck!

it's different for different carriers, and you just need to practice, practice, practice. I couldn't get it in the Moby, and have only occasionally used the sling and MT to nurse in (both of which I found much easier than the Moby.) Have you tried adjusting your baby like they describe in the manual that came with the wrap, lying him down in a sort of cradle position with the legs sticking out of one side? You can also do it like swmom described, though you may have better luck with that technique if you loosen the wrap a bit first. There should be some videos on youtube showing how it's done.

I heard a very small-chested mom ask the reverse of what you are asking, "is nursing while baby wearing only for big-chested mamas?" I think everyone probably finds it awkward at first.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    I heard a very small-chested mom ask the reverse of what you are asking, "is nursing while baby wearing only for big-chested mamas?" I think everyone probably finds it awkward at first.
    Haha I guess that's true! Grass is always greener situation...

Donated 140 oz of breast milk (14 oz of colostrum) to the human milk bank in Denver, CO!!!! Check it out!

When you put your lo in the moby, keep the crossed over section that would be between your lo's legs lower on your abdomen so your lo's bottom is lower and his mouth would be more in line with you breasts. I had a hard time with the moby. Ergo is much easier, loosen arm straps until baby is in position, latch on and pull up the hood. I nursed my DD in walmart today in the ergo while shopping. No one was the wiser! Best way to NIP, really controlls a wiggly/distractable baby, no where to go, and nothing to look at but mom and boob!
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Thanks! I'll try that!

I have always had a hard time nursing new babies in a carrier, but I usually finally get it using a Moby/stretchy wrap. They're my favorite for nursing in. I use a fwcc, and like pp suggested, I loosen it up so that baby is lower and lift my breast to baby's mouth. If baby is small in size I usually wrap lower initially with the weight supported more by my hips than my back or shoulders. This makes for less fussing when baby gets hungry. *probably clear as mud*

I tried this morning by scooting him down it "worked". I use quotes because it definitely wasn't comfortable. I had to hold my breast up the whole time and it felt stretched. Also his face was so smashed on my boob I was worried about his breathing. I guess it just takes practice and maybe when he gets larger I won't have to hold it??

I can't nurse at all, even after all these babies and all these carriers (I think I'm up to about 10), in a wrap. Only in a ring sling. Might be something to try.

I'm much smaller than you and I still have to hold it for a newer baby. I think that's the baby, and yes, once they are older, you generally don't have to do that.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!