Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dishes for baby

Question Dishes for baby

My DD is 11 months old, and she feeds herself using her hands really well. She also takes some food by spoon still like yogurt and oatmeal, very rarely lets me feed her "solid" food.

I just put the food on her highchair tray and she goes to town. She is a very good eater, and lots does end up on the floor but I have 3 dogs happily waiting to get whatever morsels she decides to throw down.

When should I begin introducing bowls, plates, spoon, fork? She does have a good pincer grasp, but usually just grabs food with her whole hand and shoves it in her mouth.

Thanks in advance ladies!
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Default Re: Dishes for baby

My lo just started reaching for her bowl this month. So I let her try to scoop out of her bowl but I hold it for her. I don't think you will hurt her if you wait untill she's interested.
    July 30, 2010-6lbs 2oz- 41w 4d (emergency c-section.) Known dairy, eggs, dogs and cats allergies, eczema, and asthma
    Bonus June 22, 2006 (is 50/50 Custody ) (born 32w) Sensitive to changing temps.
    We BF, BW, Co-sleep and use cloth diapers/pull-ups!

I think I started giving them their own dishes and spoons around 7ish months. They usually just dumped the bowls upside down and ate it off the tray though. I guess I figure that if everyone else gets a dish and spoon, then they should too. I don't think it really matter just when you intro them. As long as you are okay with the extra dishes and mess.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Both of our boys started using them pretty early, like before a year, but both of them always want what we have and would scream about it. So it wasn't so much that we made the decision that they were ready as much as they did.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*littleiandjmomma View Post
    I think I started giving them their own dishes and spoons around 7ish months. They usually just dumped the bowls upside down and ate it off the tray though. I guess I figure that if everyone else gets a dish and spoon, then they should too. I don't think it really matter just when you intro them. As long as you are okay with the extra dishes and mess.
    Exactly. then of course they can also tell you they are all done by throwing the dish.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    Exactly. then of course they can also tell you they are all done by throwing the dish.
    We used to give Levi regular adult metal forks sometimes but we had to put an end to that for a while because he would tell us he was done by winging his fork across the table at us.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    We used to give Levi regular adult metal forks sometimes but we had to put an end to that for a while because he would tell us he was done by winging his fork across the table at us.
    I really feel like our kids have the same personalities - the big ones and the little ones
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Samiha View Post
    ds1 trys to stab his little brother if we give him an adult fork.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Yeah, adult forks don't work too well here... The twins tend to grab them and either stab DH or I in the arm or poke their eyes out. We gave our kids their own plates and spoons awhile back but they just didn't care so we stopped using them. We eat with our 11 month olds pulled directly up to the table so they just eat from the table and smear everything around. The plates just got the in the way and the spoons just got chucked in favor of fingers. Every now and then we try again, but usually we are busy enough wrangling babies that we don't bother!
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

We started with plates / bowls / spoon pretty much at the same time as starting baby led solids. Baby sat at the table in a clip-on chair. With both LO they went through a flinging stage. We learned to give them less food to start with, taught them sign language for "done" and "more" and "please", and gave them OTHER opportunities to explore and experiment with "gravity". We went with a regular metal "salad fork" probably around 12 or 13 mo. The toddler forks are more like spoons with slots and you can't actually use them to jab food.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)